Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Parents And Homosexuality

• Parents And Homosexuality

Posted by Owais on December 29, 2020 at 11:16 pm

How should a Muslim parent behave towards their children if their kid is homosexual?

Being a Muslim and someone who is thinking of having children, I always arguing with myself if I can accept my kid for being homosexual. According to Islam, is it better to disown your children if they are homosexual?

Thank you

Umer replied 3 years, 3 months ago 9 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Parents And Homosexuality

Umer updated 3 years, 3 months ago 9 Members · 19 Replies
  • Abhik Chatterjee

Member December 29, 2020 at 11:27 pm

Should it be always “according to islam” or “islam according to reasonability and logic?”

If I find any ideology on a certain field unacceptable to my conscience (zameer ko naghawaara), should I not edit or even reject it? How can something just INVADE into my thinking process and start dictating my life without passing through my conscience at the gunpoint of a fictitious hell? Certainly we have reason to fear reaction if we do any harm, but harmless lifestyles (eg. being gay) or worship choices (doing shirk) CANNOT incur even a blame, let alone hell.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 30, 2020 at 12:17 am

This is assuming Islam does not conform to your consciousness. There are reasons for the prohibition of homosexuality and for the prohibition of shirk.

Homosexuality is an unnatural, unclean act.

Shirk is a lie unto God and an aggression against him.

Even if we do not understand something logically, if we have, according to logic accepted God and his power and majesty then we will see where we are going wrong.

• Abhik Chatterjee

Member December 30, 2020 at 12:24 am

U and your authorities have no unique privilege to dictate something harmless as unnatural or unclean… Do not try to infringe on the private space of somebody….. regarding shirk, you have a unique conception which I may not subscribe to, so do not tell me what is sin regarding that or ur supposed God send me to hell

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 30, 2020 at 12:26 am

It is not ‘me’ and ‘my authorities’. It is an analysis of human nature. It is simple logic also.

Of course homosexuality does not harm another individual so the state would not really have any right to claim it as a crime.

But from a religious perspective it would be considered against purity and cleanliness.

I have already talked to you about your misconception on shirk.

• Abhik Chatterjee

Member December 30, 2020 at 12:29 am

You can decide all that for your own life, not others. Regarding religion, it is I who decides for me what is pure and impure. There is no misconception about shirk… I am going to do it with thumping chest…. And yet not allow any supposed character to invade my thinking process with fear about hell, BECAUSE I AM NOT DOING ANY HARM TO ANYBODY

• Abhik Chatterjee

Member December 29, 2020 at 11:53 pm

Even if there is a strong and popular clean of somebody saying God exists with these certain attributes and orders these certain commandments to be followed, ARE WE TO allow that claim simply overwhelm our mind and conscience instead of letting that pass through strict tests of justice and fairness? Thus the approach probably should be “not according to my religion” but “according to my conscience which will decide what & how much religion I allow in my life”. My religion said this! but why did I allow that religion in the first place in my life? this is a blanket statement for all religions and non religious life philosophies, not just Hinduism or Islam. If something is disagreeable to my conscience even in a religious book, for me it is not an absolute word, let alone being the word of God, and I would make constant amendments in my book of law to keep it evolving and refining as my experiences evolve my sense of judgment with time. NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE, AND EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO SCRUTINY AND REFINEMENT.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 30, 2020 at 12:18 am

It is not your book. It is the final testament of God. God’s word is final.

• Abhik Chatterjee

Member December 30, 2020 at 12:19 am

Saying so based on what presumptions?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 30, 2020 at 12:20 am

Please make a new thread as this is not the topic here. And I have already answered this question before.

• Abhik Chatterjee

Member December 30, 2020 at 12:40 am

It is totally connected with regard to freedom of choice being the common thread

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 30, 2020 at 1:59 am

Connection is not good enough. Every discussion must remain on topic as created by the original poster. Please respect the rules of Ask Ghamidi, and do not violate the code of conduct that was also shared with you before:

https://ask.ghamidi.org/code-of-conduct/

• Saba Madani

Member December 30, 2020 at 4:16 am

@ Owais, May Allah protect us all having to go through such tests. No you don’t disown your child if he says something like that. You still give him all the love and protection but be firm in letting him know that acting upon such inclination is not acceptable in Islam

• Saba Madani

Member December 30, 2020 at 4:29 am

Br. Owais! you’re just thinking of having children and having these horrible thoughts already?😁😄. Think positive brother!

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 30, 2020 at 10:52 am

Very good and difficult question. This is how I thought I would deal with if I had a homosexual child.

1. I have to educate myself to know the answers of all major questions in Islam and learn Quran by meaning.

2. I need to follow Islam practically in terms of both Allah’s rights and human rights.

3. Raise my child to learn Islam from age 4 or 5 and onward with meaning, understanding; but not forced or coerced.

3a. If you missed all the previous steps, then start on 1 and 2. Third step will be very difficult now. You need to deliver message very lovingly and respectfully now.

4. If I had done all the three steps properly and still find out in later years that the child is homosexual; then it means that it is from Allah and exposure to bad company or natural tendency. I would explain to the child that just like people are born blind, handicapped, poor and go through many other sort of difficult situations in life as a test from Allah, the tendency to homosexuality is a big test for him/her too. More likely, but not always, that the child if raised well may understand. Have the child get married as soon as possible with full disclosure to the other party. This might help reduce urges for wrongful acts.

5. After all of the above, keep asking Allah to guide your child. As at any time in his/her life if he/she finds the right path and asks Allah for forgiveness, Allah is very loving and forgiving. You never know the future. He/she may turn out to be very pious and a great servant of Islam in later life. There is no need to fight, argue and disown. Keep good relationships and keep asking Allah for help and also keep reminding the child politely and with love to seek the right path.

I have seen cases where a child completely left Islam and then in later life came back and became a great servant of Allah.

• Arsalan Riaz

Member December 30, 2020 at 11:36 am

Wonderful explanation. I wish every parent in our society has this kind of understanding.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 30, 2020 at 12:50 pm

Thank you for your good comments Arsalan. I missed a very important point.

– without cooperation and alignment of your wife, the whole thing can fall apart. Seen many cases like that. Gain alignment with your wife on your approach to make this successful. It is critical.

• Haris Virk

Moderator December 30, 2020 at 12:05 pm

Please refer to this talk by Ghamidi sahib from 42:04 to 47:37 and 1:12:20 to 1:20:07.

https://youtu.be/JxSCI9QAIEw?t=2524

• Umer

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 1:48 am

The discussion "Parents And Homosexuality" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now