Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy What Is The Topic Of Religion?

Tagged: ,

• What Is The Topic Of Religion?

• Umer

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 8:23 am

When you collect all the religious directives (both Sharia and Hikmah), whether related to dietary matters, ethical matters and bodily matters, they all point toward none other than Tazkiya. The relationship is so obvious that its very unlikely to come up with a better explanation and causal link between religious directives and their objective.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 11, 2021 at 10:19 pm

This is an inductive kind of analysis. To then use this argument to say certain things are not haraam for a specific reason would be a circular argument then

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 11, 2021 at 10:22 pm

For example purity doesn’t always have to be moral. Taking a shower after intercourses is surely (ghusl) is meant to clean yourself right? It’s not that you do ghusl to take yourself out of janaabah then clean yourself afterwards- it’s related

• Umer

Moderator January 11, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Quran has mentioned in many places about Tazkiya and its essence in religion. We know general meaning of Tazkiya and its application in many scenarios as well, irrespective of the Quran. But when you analyze Islamic Sharia directives in different domains of life, their relationship with Tazkiya becomes very clear. Both Tazkiya and Islamic Sharia (i.e. its application) are mentioned in Quran, there is no circular reasoning. We are simply elaborating and understanding their relationship.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 1:53 am

Ghusl seems to be hygiene related- where’s the spiritual purity tazkiyah element?

• Umer

Moderator January 12, 2021 at 2:43 am

Human beings are a complex of both Physical Being and a Spiritual Being. Both these domains and their purity affect each other. That is why Both Dietary And Bodily purity are required in addition to Ethical Purity.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 2:44 am

So then the topic of religion is not merely morality

• Umer

Moderator January 12, 2021 at 2:45 am

Morality or Ethics is one domain of Tazkiya.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 2:47 am

So when the Quran says ‘eat the tayyibaat’ why should we restrict this to the morality behind eating meats which may somehow someday lead some people to some sort of moral issues. The whole concept seems very far fetched . All meat looks the same once cooked and seasoned. Why not interpret it the more likely way which is relating the tayyibaat to clean, pure, healthy things?

• Umer

Moderator January 12, 2021 at 4:58 am

You’re focusing on the meat without focusing on the psychological impact it will have when you start eating beasts; there is always a psychological image of things you eat in your brain and it starts seeping deep with time and eventually there will be a sort of imbalance that will be created between a human’s physical animalistic being and human’s spiritual being. Islam’s Tazkiya deals in a domain where it can be ensured that animalistic being of humans has been kept in enough limits so that it doesn’t create imbalance with his spiritual being which is a metaphysical existence.

• ودود

Member January 12, 2021 at 3:10 am

What are the other domains then? I am aware of only domain and that is morality.

• Javed

Member October 29, 2022 at 2:59 am

“Human beings are a complex of both Physical Being and a Spiritual Being. Both these domains and their purity.”

Isn’t is then fair to induct that Aqali wajood and Jamaliyati wajood of man is also subject to Tazkiya in addition to ikhlaqi wajood. However, Ghamidi Sahb says that “…mazhab sirf insan kay ikhlaqi wajood par pabandi lagata hai, …[isne] insan kay aqali wajood par aur jamaliati wajood par koi pabandi nahi lagayi…”

So is it that aqali and jamaliati wajood are not at risk of becoming impure as is the ikhlaqi wajood?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 29, 2022 at 5:58 am

Intellect and aesthetics are the agencies. We correct aesthetics and intellect if they are developed or make error of judgement. So there is no question of their purity, but of correctness. While purification can belong to only ethics, physical cleanliness and diet.

• ودود

Member January 12, 2021 at 1:52 am

The way to get Tazkia is to deliver the resources Allah has given us as a trustee to the rightful owners. If we manage to discharge this liability — aka Infaaq — before our time ends on the planet we will be certified as “clean”.

Protecting our health and all other resources is part of our role as a trustee as others have a right on them. If i dont take care of my health and fall sick i wont be able to take care of my family members or pay my bills etc or be able to discharge my other responsibilities (including spending time on worshipping God) as a result i will fail to deliver the resources bestowed upon me to the rightful owners. That’s why avoiding pork is important as it causes health issues and those issues causes the moral issues.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 1:54 am

Seems a bit far fetched. Many meats are harmful to health as are fatty food etc but they are not haraam

• ودود

Member January 12, 2021 at 2:00 am

Anything that’s not healthy is not recommended in Islam as it falls under wasting Allah’s resources or under “don’t kill yourself” verse. So i consider consumption of any unhealthy stuff being ungrateful to God

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 2:02 am

Sure but we can’t say pork is prohibited because of that reason because other foods are not made haraam under that principle.

I don’t see how it’s wasting resources.

About 4:29 here is al-bayan’s note:

40. The Qur’ānic words used are: وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ أَنفُسَكُمْ. The word أَنفُسَكُمْ used is similar to the usage of the word أَمْوَالَكُمْ earlier. So the opinion of the people who interpret it to mean “suicide” is against linguistic principles. For this interpretation, the style should have been different. Similarly, it must also remain in consideration that devouring one another’s wealth and the prohibition of unjustly killing someone are mentioned at one place in this verse by the Almighty. What is the reason for this? Imām Amīn Ahsan Islāhī, while explaining this, writes:

… the reason for mentioning them together is that both have a deep relationship with one another. The greed for wealth does away with one’s sensitivity towards procuring it legally or illegally and then this malady makes people so blind that it can cause bloodshed. If one researches into the reasons for various social disorders and carnages, one will find that the most common reason for this is greed for wealth. Because of this deep relationship with one another, Islam has equally emphasized the sanctity of wealth and life. (Amīn Ahsan Islāhī, Tadabbur-i Qur’ān, vol. 2, 282)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 2:03 am

And if the topic of religion is strictly morality then it would not be recommended under ‘Islam’ to not have unhealthy foods

• ودود

Member January 12, 2021 at 2:09 am

Regardless of the interpretation of this verse, it’s clear that killing oneself or wasting a resource unnecessarily is a sinful act in Islam. The supporting verses maybe different but i am not a scholar so i can’t readily think of them. :).

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 2:11 am

Al-A’raf – 7:31

Arabic

يَٰبَنِىٓ ءَادَمَ خُذُواْ زِينَتَكُمۡ عِندَ كُلِّ مَسۡجِدٍ وَكُلُواْ وَٱشۡرَبُواْ وَلَا تُسۡرِفُوٓا۟ۚ إِنَّهُۥ لَا يُحِبُّ ٱلۡمُسۡرِفِينَ

Eating pork does not constitute as killing oneself. And I do not see how eating junk food is a waste of resources.

• ودود

Member January 12, 2021 at 2:15 am

When i visit a clinic they ask me to fill in an assessment form — the first two questions are if i eat port and if I smoke.

I am sure eating port has something to do with health.

2ndly, it might also have impact on our behavior that may hinder our ability to discharge of our moral responsibilities under the “ahad e imanat” our souls signed with God.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 2:16 am

The clinic thing is quite interesting- haven’t heard about that before.

Yes if pork affects behaviour then it is a moral issue

• ودود

Member January 12, 2021 at 2:35 am

Check out this link for port related health concerns

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-pork-bad

• ودود

Member January 12, 2021 at 2:47 am

The other kind of meat like beef or lamb is actually not bad for the health as per the new research. It helps meet our nutrition requirements. Explore keto diet or LCHF diet and the science behind it you will agree with me.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register