Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Process Of Classification And Authentication Of Hadith

Tagged: ,

• Process Of Classification And Authentication Of Hadith

Posted by Nadeem Minhas on January 1, 2021 at 9:27 am

A. Will you please provide me a short and summarized version of how Hadith were verified and classified based on authenticity of information. Does the classification exist in all books?

B. How the following hurdles were overcome when verifying authenticity of hadiths.

1. Recalling exact words used by prophet Muhammad pbuh

2. How the exact voice inflections, emotions and facial expression of prophet Muhammad were communicated or verified; as these are normally the major part of communication; not just words.

3. How description of circumstances and context was verified

4. Verification of honesty and truthfulness of all references within the chain (Especially the ones’ that had died by the time Hadith research was conducted)

5. Verification of memory of all references within the chain (Especially the ones’ that had died by the time Hadith research was conducted). Unless all within the chain had photographic memory, the message is likely to change as it is passed down the chain over two centuries and multiple generations.

6. There have been many researches on communication where a single sentence or a paragraph of information is passed down a set of people standing in a row. Within minutes the message and wording changes when the message is passed through a number of people. This is the limitation of human brain. How can we justify against this research and state with confidence that hadiths are authentic when those were written over 200 years later and the information passed through many people?

Rafia Khawaja replied 3 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Process Of Classification And Authentication Of Hadith

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 9:43 am
  • $ohail T@hir

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 9:44 am

see this pdf also: Discussion 4438 • Reply 4450

• Ahsan

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 10:28 am

Nadeem Minhas sb
    the earliest record of hadith was recorded by Hazrat Abu huraira,, Ali and Abdullah ibn e amr, Al khffaf etc so saying it was written down after 200 years is not a fair comment.
    Secondly Arab culture was an oral culture. Even poetry history was transmitted orally.
    There is a ver nice book about hadith history written by dr ghulam jillani berq. check it out
    https://www.emaanlibrary.com/book/urdu-tareekhe-hadees-dr-ghulam-jilani-barq/

in his book he mentioned that he was munkaer hadith but found hw was wrong after researching

• Nadeem Minhas

Member January 1, 2021 at 7:01 pm

Thank you all for a great source of info. I will dare to read one of the book…200 pages🙁 and see if information authenticity standards were met. I wonder if no one summarized this info in bulleted form yet for today’s and future generations which is used to Google and short videos. I am not young, but I search the info the same way. I wish someone could refer me to a good 10 page summary before I see if it is worth reading 200 pages. If there is none, I will read and summarize myself for others.

• Ahsan

Moderator January 2, 2021 at 12:38 am

I will try to find any summarized version. If i could i will share it.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member January 2, 2021 at 6:54 am

While I am reading books referred to me, is there any one with answers to my questions in the original post. I have some additional questions that have not been convincingly answered.

1. When was the first formal compilation of Hadith took place? I see a few years to 200 to 300 years later.

2. Why prophet Muhammad and Closest to him Khulfa Rashdeen did not write or encourage writing of Hadith. I understand there are some hadith referenced to closest to prophet, but not written or verified by them. Doesn’t it go against their best judgment and will?

• Ahsan

Moderator January 2, 2021 at 11:54 am

So in the book I referred, its written that Hazrat Abu hurraira, Hazrat Ali, Hazrat Abdullah bin Amar etc are the first one to write hadiths.
    Hazrat Umar was not in favor of writing hadith and he forbade others to do so. According to Ghamidi Sb, they were very careful about narrating it.
    So far I am unable to find a summaraized version. If I find I will share it.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member January 11, 2021 at 5:09 pm

Thank you for your reply. To summarize…Allah did not ask to write or preserve Hadith, prophet himself did not, hazrat Abbubakar did not, hazrat Omar did not and only a few may have been referenced by hazrat Ali or Amar, hazrat Abbu Huraira was not a very close or companian of prophet from the beginning.

My logic says that if Allah wanted, he could have asked prophet Muhammad to write hadith, prophet Muhammad could have asked Sahabah to write and preserve Hadith. So if there was no hadith in the first place to write or preserve hadith and the top and the first authority did not ask or allowed, what authority do others down the line have to go against them.

• Ahsan

Moderator January 12, 2021 at 2:08 am

you are right. Thats why ghamidi sb dont consider hadith as an independent source but historical reports.

• Umer

Moderator January 5, 2021 at 8:29 am

Please refer to the videos provided in the following thread:

Discussion 21789

• Rafia Khawaja

Member January 17, 2021 at 6:05 pm

I totally agree with Nadeem. Quran has to be our source of information. All Hadiths have to be in line with the text of the Qur’an. If they are not then they are to be in a foot note of the Qur’an and not to be accepted as a resource. Hadiths have been so wrongly interpreted even in Bukhari and other Hadith books. As Dr Shehzad said we are trying to understand the Quran by Hadith and the Qur’an is only for Tilawat and sawab for the deceased!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register