Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Science Al-Ghazali And Scientific Decline

Tagged: ,

• Al-Ghazali And Scientific Decline

Posted by Arsalan Riaz on January 12, 2021 at 6:33 am

Was Imam Al- Ghazali responsible for decline of science in the Muslim world ? The other day I saw a video of Neil deGrasse Tyson where he asserted that Al-Ghazali was responsible for turning the Muslim world away from science. Professor Pervez Hoodbhoy also has the same view. I haven’t read Imam Ghazali’s books so I don’t know whether it’s true or not. Can someone explain ?

Ahsan replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Al-Ghazali And Scientific Decline

Ahsan updated 3 years ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Arsalan Riaz

Member January 12, 2021 at 6:40 am

This is the link of the video of Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Ahsan

Moderator January 12, 2021 at 11:19 am

This is the most absurd statement that one man is responsible for decline of whole community. Imam ghazali was sufi who would never be appreciated by followers of Imam Hanbal. u can see the holes in this narratives. Also, this statement was put forwarded by orientalist authors.

Try to read Tahāfut al-Falāsifa which has logically criticized various philosphers work. His argument there is considered most powerful against athesim and is used by William Craig known as Kalam Argument. Its very easy to blame ghazali when people dont understand his point of view. His claim that manipulation of number is devil work can be easily refuted from first volume of Ihya’e Ulum-ed’Deen where he focussed on getting knowledge of mathematics.
    If you want to know more about ghazali there are 6 lectures by Abdulhakim Murad Winter on youtube. you can watch it.

Kindly refer to this discussion about failure of Muslims
    Discussion 38452

• Ahsan

Moderator April 3, 2021 at 5:13 am

In recent Ask Ghamidi session, similar question was asked. Kidnly refer to following video
    https://youtu.be/RKCOvg5F_Z4?t=1895

The discussion "Al-Ghazali And Scientific Decline" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now