Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 24:30 – Co-education And Lowering Gaze

• Quran 24:30 – Co-education And Lowering Gaze

Posted by Farah Shahbaz on January 12, 2021 at 11:32 am

In Surah Noor, ayah 30 ( it is said to men to lower your gaze. How this could be implemented in today’s educational system?

Mohammad Yaseen replied 3 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Quran 24:30 – Co-education And Lowering Gaze

Mohammad Yaseen updated 3 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator January 12, 2021 at 11:56 am

Kindly read ayah 31 too.
    if person has any intrest in Allahs command then they have to practice by themselves. No one else can implement it by force.
    kindly listen to this video till end
    https://youtu.be/aLJAGYNTRlQ?t=101

• Farah Shahbaz

Member January 12, 2021 at 12:06 pm

Thank u for sharing this video link, Alhamdu Lillah I have read Ayah 31 translation too. My question was based on my Son’s query. He was arguing in literal meaning of the 30th Ayah. That how we can implement now a days while we have female teachers and students around all the time. And since Quran’s message is for all times how it could we defend this aya in present era?

• Ahsan

Moderator January 12, 2021 at 1:23 pm

@As ghamdi sb says we need to explain importance of haya which is required by Allah. I think thats the only way to defend ayah (although i dont think it need defence)

@UmerQureshi @faisalharoon @Yaseen @Sonnadi
      Can you share your thoughts or any scholars thought?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm

I think that if we teach our youth what Ghamidi sahab has explained in the explanation of this verse, they should be able to understand and appreciate it. I am reproducing his explanation below.

Explanation of lowering gaze in 24:30 by Javed Ahmed Ghamidi:

یہ ہدایت آگے عورتوں کو بھی کی گئی ہے۔ اِس کے لیے اصل میں ’یَغُضُّوْا مِنْ اَبْصَارِہِمْ‘ کے الفاظ آئے ہیں۔ نگاہوں میں حیا ہو اور مرد وعورت ایک دوسرے کے حسن وجمال سے آنکھیں سینکنے، خط وخال کا جائزہ لینے اور ایک دوسرے کو گھورنے سے پرہیز کریں تو اِس حکم کا منشا یقیناً پورا ہو جاتا ہے، اِس لیے کہ اِس سے مقصود نہ دیکھنا یا ہر وقت نیچے ہی دیکھتے رہنا نہیں ہے، بلکہ نگاہ بھر کر نہ دیکھنا اور نگاہوں کو دیکھنے کے لیے بالکل آزاد نہ چھوڑ دینا ہے۔ اِس طرح کا پہرا اگر نگاہوں پر نہ بٹھایا جائے تو نبی صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم کے الفاظ میں یہ آنکھوں کی زنا ہے۔ اِس سے ابتدا ہو جائے تو شرم گاہ اِسے پورا کر دیتی ہے یا پورا کرنے سے رہ جاتی ہے*۔ چنانچہ یہی نگاہ ہے جس کے بارے میں رسول اللہ صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم نے لوگوں کو نصیحت فرمائی ہے کہ اِسے فوراً پھیر لینا چاہیے**۔

* بخاری، رقم۶۲۴۳۔ مسلم، رقم۶۷۵۴۔

** بخاری، رقم۱۸۵۵۔ مسلم، رقم۵۶۴۴، ۳۲۵۱۔

• Farah Shahbaz

Member January 12, 2021 at 3:39 pm

Jazak Allah!!

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 12, 2021 at 4:13 pm

In the name of Allah the most knowledgable.

As I see it.

I have had the opportunity to live in 3 different cultures in my lifetime.

I lived in a country where I was not even a second-grade citizen. I couldn’t see directly in the eyes of the person talking to me because I was not equal. The reason there was racism where I had to take my gaze away or lower my gaze.

Then I had the opportunity to live in a country where Islam was practiced traditionally. What I mean here is that a Muslim should never look into the eyes of another woman because it is impiety. Keeping your gaze down was a sign of respect being given to another woman. The reason in this country was high morals.

Then I moved to a country where gender equality is of prime importance. I had an experience during my interview for a job. My interviewer was a woman and I did not look into her eyes at all thinking that I was exhibiting high morals. What I realized that not looking at the person talking to you was not high morals rather it was bad manners. It portrayed a person of lesser confidence, inferiority complex, and simply rudeness.

The context of a gaze is primarily the mind. The mind creates and sees what it thinks of. If the mind is pure the gaze will be pure as well.

I think that looking into the eyes of a person is equivalent to recognizing a personality, respecting a person, accepting their identity. When I look at another woman I see another person, not a different gender. Scientifically speaking,

Studies show that making eye contact helps people to remember what you say and do. In fact, when you couple eye contact with body language, it makes them pay even more attention to you.

Maintaining eye contact also encourages people to be more honest with you. And that can be a big advantage when you’re building a relationship with someone. If you want to know what kind of emotions someone is feeling, looking into their eyes can give you a lot of information. It’s pretty hard to lie with your eyes.

Maintaining an appropriate amount of eye contact (that doesn’t mean staring) is beneficial to any relationship, including those with children, friends, colleagues, and clients.

A comfortable gaze is approximately 3 seconds long and at 9 seconds it starts to become uncomfortable.

The problem in the mind, with a gaze, that looks at another woman is an objectification of a gender. That woman is not just an opposite gender, that woman is an entity, a thinking mind, a person. When seen that way there will never be a problem when talking to another woman. I think that is what the Qur’ān is trying to tell us. And that is what Ghamidi Sahib is also trying to tell us. The culprit is not the eye it is the mind behind the eye. The mind does not need the eye to create sensuality.

In the end, I think we can behave differently in different contexts. We can lower our gaze in countries where that is considered good and we can look into the eyes of a person in countries where that is considered good.

Now talking at a different level, if we were to communicate to present our religion, propagate our Islamic philosophy, we will have to use the norms of that society. Looking at a person shows confidence, creates a connection between brains and then it easy to state your point of view.

Islam is the religion of fitrah and revelation. There is so much evidence that eye contact is vital for human communication. Hence, the divine religion cannot go against the fitrah. That is just what I feel.

I will share the scientific perspective only, as religious perspective is well known.

Stay blessed, always.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190108-why-meeting-anothers-gaze-is-so-powerful

• Farah Shahbaz

Member January 12, 2021 at 9:42 pm

I really appreciate your words and time spend to explain the topic. It clarified many other points as well. It really get influenced by the cultural norms as well and you explained this perspective very well. Jazak Allah!

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 14, 2021 at 10:40 am

Many many thanks.

Stay blessed, always.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member January 12, 2021 at 7:20 pm

Sorry for disagreement with some. In todays society it is difficult to avoid looking at women. The spirit of Allahs message in my opinion is to not look at women with certain unpure thoughts. To meet the intent of the message when possible not to look at women the second time, but if it is teacher or someone we are having conversation at work and business we need to make sure we are not looking at women with unpure thoughts and not staring at certain parts of women. Also if we will never look at women how will we find one we want to marry and how will we talk to them to discuss anything.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register