Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Epistemology Of Religion

• Epistemology Of Religion

Posted by Muhammad Ahmed on January 20, 2021 at 12:58 pm

We see nowadays people defending religion and trying to prove the existence of god to the atheists. What seems is that we put ourselves in their circle of ilm,logic and ideology than try to prove something. Whereas i think from the base we are separate. And we have to hold onto our own epistemology. Can someone explain what epistemology of belief is. And what method atheists adopt for their views and knowledge

Nadeem Minhas replied 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Epistemology Of Religion

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 20, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Epistemology is independent of what you’re trying to establish. There’s no such thing as epistemology of religion. Perhaps your question is not clear to me. Please feel free to elaborate.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 20, 2021 at 1:33 pm
  • Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 20, 2021 at 1:34 pm
  • Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 20, 2021 at 1:35 pm
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member January 20, 2021 at 4:02 pm

As a former atheist, my point was that humans can’t explain where they came from, why they are here and where they are going. They can’t accept that they will just die and be nothing. Also they could not explain inequality, injustice and sufferings in the World. So to explain it all and to satisfy nagging feelings they create various gods.

That was my view until I read Quran translation.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 20, 2021 at 4:06 pm

These are excellent observations and a good deduction.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 20, 2021 at 4:05 pm
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 20, 2021 at 4:31 pm

Epistemology refers to theory of knowledge. It’s a philosophical field of study that investigates scopes of knowledge, it’s methods of acquisition, as well as the validity of any knowledge that we can acquire. Epistemology helps us to distinguish opinions from justified beliefs.

That said, not only that I am still unable to understand the question, but I can’t even relate the responses to epistemology. Time for me to go back to school, I guess 😁.

• Muhammad Ahmed

Member January 21, 2021 at 12:25 am

I feel their worldview regarding knowledge, truth, good, aesthetics everything has changed. And when we try to stand in that world and explain our belief we fail to do so…

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 21, 2021 at 7:51 am

In the name of Allah the greatest guide.

As I see it.

I have analyzed, in my own way, that there is want and a need. The need is water, food and shelter and I will come to God later.

The needs are necessary for the maintenance of life and health. This health is vital.

One can have life without good health and that is a tough life. Health seems vital to stay away from despair and depression and finally from death and godlessness.

The want is soft drinks etc, junk food etc, mansions etc.

Next, nature provided the provisions necessary for the survival of humans.

We also know that humans, who believe, have a better chance of survival and recovery from disease and hopelessness. We also see the existence of diety or deities all over the planet, from the remotest to the advanced, from today into the past. Reverse engineer this and we will find the first man and the first God, just like we reverse engineer and reach the first organic, replicating molecule.

We have survived over ages through religion and God. This is in perspective to the human as a specie. God is a necessity, a need not a want.

And God knows best.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 21, 2021 at 8:16 am

As I see it.

Atheism bases its arguments on the presumption that they are rational and Theism is not. They are unable to differentiate between myth and divinity, between corporeal knowledge and sacred knowledge. They indulge in discourse fallacies, where they defend their conclusion to be right through logic and deduction and do not impart the plausibility of the opposite side to reach a different conclusion through the same process.

Bertrand Russell and Richard Dawkins both don’t support the learning of the philosophy of science because it will make us depressed.

The reason is that science also uses assumptions and presumptions to get to a conclusion. It is the same method used by religion. Science will only get you so far as to the hopelessness and uselessness of life with no accountability or justice.

The other issue is judging others as intellectually inferior which in itself is abhoring ethics.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 21, 2021 at 8:23 am

I beg to differ on one point. The way that religion is presented in the Quran, there’s no room left for any assumptions or presumptions. The entire case for God in the Quran is based on evidence. When the whole matter is understood using the approach that Quran evidently takes, we reach the highest level of certainty that’s humanly possible.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 21, 2021 at 8:31 am

🙂

• Nadeem Minhas

Member January 21, 2021 at 3:14 pm

I agree with Muhammad Yaseen. Allah gives us clues not absolute irrefutabe proof of his existence. That is not the design.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 21, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Nadeem sahab I did not say absolute irrefutabe proofs. I’m not sure if such a thing even exists, other than in the world of mathematics. Even my belief in my own existence requires drawing inferences from my own experiences. Similarly, Quran provides us with evidence for God that we can infer from leading us to the highest level of certainty that’s humanly possible. Belief in God does not require any assumptions or presumptions.

To be clear, my definition of assumption is drawing conclusions without fully considering missing information along the way, while that of presumption is to consider something true before we even begin to investigate a matter.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member January 21, 2021 at 4:25 pm

I agree, Faisal.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register