Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Haram Drugs

Tagged: ,

• Haram Drugs

Posted by Muhammad Ahmed on January 25, 2021 at 10:49 am

My question is in quran word khamar is used to address alcohol and other things as haram. Things which effect the human mind in a way i guess. So how do we properly choose what things should be in this category. Like nicotine caffeine etc are drugs as they effect the neurons and so the mind. How can we qualify something to be falling in the category which can be called as nasha. As i think addiction doesn’t define it as we can get addicted to halal things as well….

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Haram Drugs

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 25, 2021 at 11:05 am

As I see it.

Respected Ghamidi Sahib talks about things that cause the mind to forget morality. These are intoxicants which cause inebriation.

Nicotine, caffeine and halal food addictions don’t cause the absence of judgement. You are right that addiction is not the clause under scrutiny, rather inebriated morality is.

Stay blessed, always

• Muhammad Ahmed

Member January 25, 2021 at 11:13 am

Sir if the subject of morality becomes the issue than categorising substances like marijuana etc as haram becomes debatable. As i see nowadays such things have become quite common and i have faced this question from the youth. Most people cant differentiate what is and what not is nasha. Many people can go on with their lives quite morally and with the capability of judgement under the effect of marijuana. So does it make it fall in category of drugs as nicotine. Many health medicines have such drugs which cause people to lose their judgement. Does that drug which is being used for treatment of depression make it haram. Where can we draw the line.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 25, 2021 at 11:44 am

As I see it.

Marijuana or pot or CBD/THC doesn’t cause inebriation rather can cause high, sleepiness, slow muscular responses and shouldn’t be used for driving or using heavy machinery.

Since it doesn’t cause one to loose morality awareness, it shouldn’t be haram to use for chronic pain or psychiatric illnesses.

The term high is not synonymous for inebriation. That is my understanding of the drug. The drug cannot be combined with other hallucinogens.

Please check the validity of this claim.

Thanks.

• Muhammad Ahmed

Member January 25, 2021 at 11:48 am

Thanks sir for your opinion. Really appreciate it

@faisalharoon can i have your opinion on this one as well

Is getting high and not inebriated permissible or not

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 25, 2021 at 11:52 am

Updated response. Couldn’t edit it in time.

As I see it.

Marijuana or pot or CBD/THC doesn’t cause inebriation rather can cause a high(euphoria), sleepiness, slow muscular responses, reduced coordination etc and shouldn’t be used while driving or using heavy machinery.

Since it doesn’t cause one to loose morality awareness, it shouldn’t be haram to use for chronic pain or psychiatric illnesses. The dose is very important. It can however fall in a category of things that we do and cause self-harm and by that extension it can become not permissible hence dose is important and addiction can lead to self neglect etc.

The term high is not synonymous for inebriation. That is my understanding of the drug. The drug cannot be combined with other hallucinogens.

Please check the validity of this claim.

Thanks.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 25, 2021 at 12:30 pm

The article shared is long but it will delineate the differences between alcohol and Marijuana and driving

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor January 25, 2021 at 1:21 pm
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 25, 2021 at 4:53 pm

What has been made impermissible is khamar in Quran verses 2:19 and 5:90 which refers to intoxication. Alcohol generally causes intoxication, hence in application it has been made impermissible as a sadd-e-zariya. Apart from alcohol, any substance that can cause one intoxication would be termed as impermissible using the principle of qiyas.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 25, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Please watch:

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 25, 2021 at 4:55 pm
  • Muhammad Ahmed

Member January 26, 2021 at 3:13 am

There is one point. A person develops an immunity towards the effect of the thing one is consuming. Like a regular smoker wont feel much but if a non smoker smokes a cigarette or tobacco in some other form will have an effect and experience some sort of a high. If things are to be considered intoxicants in terms of qiyas than substances like marijuana etc which have a little effect on regular smokers become debatable. As they normally say that it has become quite similar to a cigarette for us.

• Muhammad Ahmed

Member January 26, 2021 at 3:14 am

Also medicines have those drugs that can be called as intoxicants in terms of their effects. Than where would we put them

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 26, 2021 at 9:34 am

Nicotine or cigarette smoke, while still harmful is not intoxicating so it should not be placed in the same category.

Any intoxicants will be categorized as absolutely haram on the same principle of sadd-e-zariya as alcohol, regardless of prior immunity to the substance.

Medical use of of alcohol is also not exactly permissible. I have heard Ghamidi sahab say that there can however be some room for it if not directly used to treat an ailment, for example as a preservation agent in medicine.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register