Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Cleaning Using Toilet Paper

Tagged: 

• Cleaning Using Toilet Paper

Posted by Muhammad Abdullah on February 2, 2021 at 7:49 pm

As the sole purpose is to achieve cleanliness, does it matter if it were achieved by water or toilet paper?

One might say that water is more effective cleaner than the counterpart however, it boils down to the proper cleaning; be it via water or paper.

Muhammad Abdullah replied 3 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Cleaning Using Toilet Paper

Muhammad Abdullah updated 3 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member February 2, 2021 at 8:12 pm

Good question brother. Isn’t cleanliness a relative term? 1400 years ago there was neither paper and perhaps not water everywhere for this purpose nor always soap. Maybe rocks were used.

I think water cleans much better but why not wipe with Alcohol laden wet wipes after water for even more clean.

The point is back to your question. Perhaps the question is what clean means in Islam or perhaps for prayer; otherwise it is relative term based on culture, resources, science, etc.

• Muhammad Abdullah

Member February 2, 2021 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. So, if I understood correctly, you simply repeated my question in the last sentence cuz that’s why I asked?

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 2, 2021 at 8:23 pm

I just wanted to add depth to your question. I did not mean to answer it. I think if we comoare ourselves to people 1400 years ago, with limited resources, we are overall very clean society than olden times.

I am not a scholar, but If I use my best judgement to answer your question, I would say for Islam and prayer, we need to maintain ourselves relatively cleaner than average society around us and certainly can’t cross the lines below cleanliness standards set by Islam 1400 years ago.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 13, 2021 at 5:17 pm

Brother Muhammad. I was hoping a scholar to sheds some light on this topic.

I was thinking about this topic a bit more and it dawned on me that clenliness standards of Islam cover the following general principals. 1. Cleanliness for prayer. 2. To look respectably clean as an ambassador of Islam 3. Not to incovenient others with odor.

All those objectives are covered under the following guidelines.

-wudhu or shower for prayers

-Clean and odorless body and clothes

-No excraments on body or clothes …I believe with total area of a old silver dollar.

Overall these are fairly simple and easy standards.

So for Islam use of paper or water both exceed minimum standards. For extra credit, achieving higher standards would be encouraged, I suppose.

• Muhammad Abdullah

Member February 13, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Jzk for sharing your thoughts! I would like to think the same (that toilet paper suffices the need of cleanliness) however, I wanted to clarify the authenticity of the concept which says, “achieving ~paaki~ (پاکی/پاکیزگی/طہارت) is only possible through use of water, unless of course unavailable”

• Muhammad Abdullah

Member February 24, 2021 at 8:24 am

Still looking forward for a response from any modmin.

@Irfan76 @faisalharoon @Hassan

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 24, 2021 at 9:14 am

It’s in the queue. Will try to get a scholarly response Insha’allah and share it with you.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 25, 2021 at 8:57 pm
  • Ahsan

Moderator March 8, 2021 at 4:44 am

In recent Q&A Session with Ghamidi Sahab on Questions selected from ASK GHAMIDI Platform:

For answer to your question, please refer to the video below from 1:12:35 to 1:15:05

• Muhammad Abdullah

Member March 8, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Thank You very much Mr. @faisalharoon , @hassan, and @codename.AJK .

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register