Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Specific Details Of Nikah

Tagged: 

• Specific Details Of Nikah

Posted by Shannon Kelley on February 5, 2021 at 4:48 pm

As-salamu alaykum, I am a convert to Islam planning to marry a Muslim man this summer. I would like for his father (also a Muslim) to officiate the nikah, but since he is not an Imam we are slightly unclear on some of the specifics.

If we have

1.) Me agreeing to the marriage

2.) My future husband agreeing to the marriage

3.) A mahr

4.) Two witnesses

Are there any other requirements to make this nikah valid?

More questions:

Do I need a wali? I am under the impression I can agree and sign the contract on my own as I am a sane adult woman of equal standing with my future husband and still receiving a mahr.

How does Ijab wa Qabul work specifically between me and my future husband during nikah? Does one ask and the other accept, does the officiant ask us both and we both accept? Are the details of this point important?

I saw that Ghamidi has a video on Islamic Process of Marriage, I apologize but without subtitles I could not get guidance from the video.

I am just trying to make sure that what we do is correct.

Thank you!

Naveed Sheikh replied 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Specific Details Of Nikah

Naveed Sheikh updated 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2021 at 6:10 pm

The essential requirements of a nikah consist of consent of the bride and the groom, mahar, and a public announcement.

Please also see the following for some other details and requirements:

Nikah Pre-requisites | Al-Mawrid

Wali is not a requirement. Ijab o qubool is simply both parties agreeing to marry. As long it’s conducted in the eyes of public (e.g. friends and family) the details of Ijab o qubool do not matter.

• Shannon Kelley

Member May 23, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Thank you for answering my question and for the informative link. I was wondering if it is permissible to have the U.S. legal portion of the marriage at a court house to be signed by a judge/court official (non-religious) and to have a nikah performed with a signed nikkahnama afterward or if everything must be conducted during the nikah.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 23, 2021 at 4:19 pm

Sure there’s no problem with that.

• Naveed Sheikh

Member May 24, 2021 at 5:24 pm

Sister, l would reverse the process with the nikah first and the legal process thereafter.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register