Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Kalaam, Tamtheel, And ليس كمثله شيء

• Kalaam, Tamtheel, And ليس كمثله شيء

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on February 16, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Salaam hope you are all doing well. I had a question that hopefully you can answer: The thing with kalaam is the whole argument is based on how existences can be either possible, impossible or necessary. And they say God is necessary which makes sense and also leads to in the end proving that he is necessarily truthful. But the issue is that God says ليس كمثله شيء which means to associate his existence with existences like necessary ones or possible ones or contrast him with impossible ones would seemingly go against that statement of his.

From the little I have studied if kalaam is this analysis correct? Isn’t it mostly to do with contingencies etc? And comparing God’s existence to contingent existences would be using tamtheel surely.

But why is there nothing like God? Is it because he is outside of time and space itself? But that simply means and furthers the idea that he is not contingent on anything- meaning that he is a necessary being. And the fact that all things in this universe are contingent necessitates that there be a wajibul wujud.

So why:

1. Don’t we find these types of arguments for God that much in scripture?

2. And does it come under tamtheel do compare the type of existences? It’s not really understanding by example but rather seeing the universe and how it necessitates a non-contingent being right?

umer Khan replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kalaam, Tamtheel, And ليس كمثله شيء

• umer Khan

Member February 18, 2021 at 9:17 am

W . Salam . I think you are considering this statement a philosophical one. But this ayah means “There is nothing like him that you can imagine” now we should take it as Allah almighty said . Which means we should not give examle of Allah from these material things because matter is creation and Allah is creater who created it from x-nihilo

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register