Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy 96:16 Why Is The Forelock Called Lying?

Tagged: 

• 96:16 Why Is The Forelock Called Lying?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on February 20, 2021 at 1:26 am

Al-‘Alaq – 96:16

Arabic

نَاصِيَةٍ كَٰذِبَةٍ خَاطِئَةٍ

Some people say this refers to the frontal lobe since that’s where lying occurs. If this is not true why is the forelock called lying and sinning? Because usually we say murderous hands or a filthy tongue because it is those body parts that do the act.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • 96:16 Why Is The Forelock Called Lying?

• Ahsan

Moderator February 20, 2021 at 2:41 am

If u read in conjuntion with verse 15, i think it has to do with more with language than to do with lying. Similar type of reasoning has been used by Ahsan amin Islahi sb in tadabur e quran

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 20, 2021 at 2:44 am

Yes but the reasoning that amin hasan islahi sahab gave would make sense if it were ‘lying tongue’ or ‘murderous hands’. Unless I guess you say that there is a direct contrast to the forelock being used for prostration which I don’t think is present there. And also it would be for head that should’ve been mentioned for that

• Ahsan

Moderator February 20, 2021 at 2:56 am

Amin islahi sb has linked it to prostation too. But in Tafheem ul Qurah by Molana modadi has considered it as just part of body.
      I understand your point. But, may be it has to do with the practice that people were dragged to prison cell by the hairs in medieval times.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 20, 2021 at 2:57 am

Sure that explains the dragging thing and why forelock is mentioned. Though we’re people really dragged by the forelock in medieval times or pre Islamic Arabia? Did they even really have jails? And it doesnt explain why it was called lying and sinning

• Ahsan

Moderator February 20, 2021 at 3:09 am

Yep my bad. You are right prison cell were not here in Arabia. About dragging, i can only assume it was there.
    I have no idea baout it let see if some one else can throw light on it

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 20, 2021 at 5:28 am

I agree with the interpretation you originally referred to Shoaib. It is simple and streight forward and makes sense.

I believe Quran is written for all times. This verse may not have made any sense 1400 years ago, but now it is perfectly understandable.

Seems like with the growth of human knowledge, the Quran reveals more and more secrets and stays relevant to convince people this is a book from Allah.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 20, 2021 at 9:10 am

The reason I don’t think it’s the frontal lobe is because the Quran had to be able to be understood by its direct addressees. It wouldn’t make sense that there’s something that makes no sense snd only makes sense now.

Also the frontal lobe is not the forelock. The frontal lobe is a part of the brain and the forelock is hair

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 20, 2021 at 9:50 am

Shoaib. How would 7 universe, earth like an egg, two types of water do not mix, growth of human in mother’s womb, etc. There are numerous things in Quran that would not make sense 1400 years ago. Quran is for all times.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 20, 2021 at 9:52 am

7 universe still doesn’t make sense. We don’t need the misdaq for that.

Where does it say earth like egg?

They knew the waters doesn’t mix probably. And even then, it would make sense if they didn’t.

They knew about children in the womb. They knew generally and maybe from some miscarriages too.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 20, 2021 at 9:59 am

Shoaib, read those ayahs. I just gave you just few examples. You are guessing that they would have known. The detail how infant grows in the womb. when bones are generated, when muscle develops etc. There are too many things.

Still to this date there is so much in Quran we do not understand and not make sense. Let’s say 7 universe or universe collapsing like folding of a book, Sun expanding to the orbit of moon on the last day, etc.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 20, 2021 at 10:16 am

Even if they did not know the exact sequence of course they knew that bones and muscles form in the womb. And you are assuming they didn’t know

• Ahsan

Moderator February 20, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Nadeem sb, I agree with Ahmad in his point that actually that kind of theories existed even before Prophet Mohammad saw. There is historical evidence for it. so this assumption that people didnot know at that time is wrong one. This is not the topic for scietific miracles so I will not go in furhter details.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 20, 2021 at 11:03 am

OK, Let’s go one by one.

16. The Earth is egg shaped (79:30)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 20, 2021 at 11:17 am

How does دحٰها imply an egg shape?

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 20, 2021 at 11:34 am

I can show you how, but let’s move forward.

17. Humans are created like plants from water, dust and aged mud (6:2), (15:26), (15:28), (23:12), (25:54),(30:20), (32:7), (35:11), (38:71), (40:67), (55:14) (71:17)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 20, 2021 at 11:35 am

I think the topic is digressing. It would be better to make a separate thread for each of these

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 20, 2021 at 11:39 am

anyway I don’t see how this is some scientific reality. Arabs can easily understand being made from dirt

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 20, 2021 at 11:38 am

The reason is that to prove your main point you asked to prove this point first. Anyhow it is not possible to have a meaningful discussion using text.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 21, 2021 at 7:58 am

Explanation by Amin Ahsan Islahi suffices for the use of the word Naasiah.

’نَاصِیَۃٌ‘ پیشانی اور پیشانی پر بکھرے ہوئے بالوں کو کہتے ہیں۔ ’سَفْعٌ‘ کسی چیز کو مٹھی میں پکڑ کر کھینچنے اور گھسیٹنے کے معنی میں آتا ہے۔ سورۂ رحمان میں اسی طرح کے سرکشوں کے بارے میں فرمایا ہے:

’فَیُؤْخَذُ بِالنَّوَاصِیْ وَالْأَقْدَامِ‘ (الرحمن ۵۵: ۴۱) (پس وہ چوٹیوں اور ٹانگوں سے پکڑ کر جہنم میں پھینک دیے جائیں گے)۔

یہ ’اَلنَّاصِیَۃِ‘ سے بدل ہے۔ اگرچہ دونوں میں معرفہ اور نکرہ کا فرق ہے لیکن نکرہ موصوف ہو تو معرفہ سے بدل پڑ سکتا ہے۔ یہاں اس جوش غضب پر خاص طور سے نگاہ رہے جو اس آیت کے ہر لفظ سے ابل رہا ہے۔ ان نابکاروں کی چوٹی کا ذکر انتہائی غضب آلود الفاظ میں فرمایا: ’نابکار اور گنہ گار چوٹی!!‘ ۔۔۔ چہرہ اور پیشانی آدمی کی ذات کے سب سے اشرف حصے ہیں اس وجہ سے ان سے بعض اوقات اس کی پوری شخصیت تعبیر کر دی جاتی ہے۔ یہاں یہی صورت ہے۔ یہ امر بھی ملحوظ رہے کہ آدمی کی پیشانی کے لیے سب سے بڑا شرف سجدوں کا نشان ہے۔ اگر کوئی شخص اتنا شقی ہے کہ وہ نہ صرف یہ کہ خود سجدہ نہیں کرتا بلکہ دوسروں کو سجدہ کرنے سے روکتا بھی ہے تو ایسا نابکار و گنہ گار سزاوار ہے کہ اس کی چوٹی پکڑ کر اس کو گھسیٹا اور جہنم میں جھونک دیا جائے۔

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register