Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Metzinger's Denial Of Soul

• Metzinger's Denial Of Soul

Posted by umer Khan on February 24, 2021 at 7:43 am

Recently I heard sir ghamidi about soul or self where he said that self is something immaterial . Quran Also mention about Nafs means self in many ayat but here a neurologist thomas metzinger said that

Metzinger concedes that most of us do have an experience of being a self, but he argues that it would be a fallacy to infer from the content of our self-experience to the existence of an internal non-physical object. There is no immutable, unchanging soul-substance. Rather, the self is in reality a persistent illusion created by a multitude of interrelated cognitive modules in the brain. Our self-experience, our feeling of being a conscious self, is never truthful it merely testifies to the fact that we tend to confuse a representational construct with a really existing entity (Metzinger 2003:

370, 385, 390).

What does he mean by this statement ? Is he saying that my experince of being concious is not real ? Then what is real source of knowledge

Mohammed Zubair Alam replied 1 year, 10 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator February 24, 2021 at 9:25 am

All such metaphysical theories are just thoeries merely coming out of human mind to find objectivity in life. these have no evidence in it. Accepting such theories mean you deny evidence based reality.

I will give you an advise while reading philosophy, there are always critics of each theory. Read them too so you can get how illogical some of their assumptions are.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 24, 2021 at 2:55 pm

I am not an expert in Metzinger’s philosophy. However, in general, the mind body problem is not only very old, but philosophers keep coming up with newer ideas all the time. One sub-school of thought under monism is that of materialism according to which only matter exists in the universe and everything (including human beings) function through interactions of material substances. There are varying materialist philosophies that deny the concepts such as self, soul, and consciousness (anything that can’t be directly observed in a science lab).

There are many materialist ideas out there and as Ahsan sahab stated all such philosophical ideas are indeed hypothetical. In fact there’s hardly any philosophical idea out there that is yet to be challenged by another philosopher. These doctrines are indeed great to learn about because they give us a much wider perspective and help us figure out the very basis of our own world views. However, they must be understood knowing that they do not lead to any conclusions.

• Umer

Moderator April 9, 2021 at 11:15 am

Following commentary of Ghamidi Sahab might be very insightful for you:

Please refer to the video below from 35:31 to 44:01

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member June 14, 2022 at 11:23 am

In this video Ghamidi sahab says that if a person thinks that some thing is more accurate than quran then he should re-examine his views. But my question is, what if even after reexamining, his view doesn’t change?. Should he still believe in the Quran? Wouldn’t be that hypocrisy or Ignorancy?

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member June 14, 2022 at 12:18 pm

Also one thing is confusing me. Ghamidi sahab once said that while choosing different opinion one can have an easy approach but in this video he is saying that one should free himself from everything on the road to find the truth.

• Umer

Moderator June 16, 2022 at 7:13 am

Choosing easy opinion among different opinions was said with respect to ijtihadi matters or fiqhi matters for a common muslim, it is not to be confused with finding the truth about God or purpose of our existence. And in this regard, one is free to choose whichever ideology one honesly finds more logical.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member June 16, 2022 at 7:27 am

Got it. Thank you so much sir.🙏🏻

• Umer

Moderator June 9, 2021 at 3:13 am

Please also refer to the video below from 1:16:04 to 1:22:57

https://youtu.be/ysn4SDfKlVA?t=4564

• Umer

Moderator June 16, 2022 at 7:20 am

The discussion "Metzinger's Denial Of Soul" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now