Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums World Religions Topic Of Religion- Hygiene And Health

Tagged: , ,

• Topic Of Religion- Hygiene And Health

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on February 25, 2021 at 8:22 pm

Anyone with such a defiling disease must wear torn clothes, let their hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of their face and cry out, ‘Unclean! Unclean! As long as they have the disease they remain unclean. They must live alone; they must live outside the camp. (13:45-46)This is from the book of Leviticus. What does this have to do with tazkiyya? It is also referenced in the Quran 20:97

Ta Ha – 20:97

Arabic

قَالَ فَٱذۡهَبۡ فَإِنَّ لَكَ فِى ٱلۡحَيَوٰةِ أَن تَقُولَ لَا مِسَاسَۖ وَإِنَّ لَكَ مَوۡعِدًا لَّن تُخۡلَفَهُۥۖ وَٱنظُرۡ إِلَىٰٓ إِلَٰهِكَ ٱلَّذِى ظَلۡتَ عَلَيۡهِ عَاكِفًاۖ لَّنُحَرِّقَنَّهُۥ ثُمَّ لَنَنسِفَنَّهُۥ فِى ٱلۡيَمِّ نَسۡفًا

Ahsan replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Topic Of Religion- Hygiene And Health

Ahsan updated 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator March 4, 2021 at 6:38 am

Are you sure this ayah is in reference to same event?
    Coz reading previous ayahs of surah taha i got the idea that Hazra Musa A.S is banishing Samri and declaring him untouchable due to his crime

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 4, 2021 at 7:01 am

I think the ayah in telling the samiri to live with those people and condemning him perhaps. But why is a hygiene and health rule being given in the book of Leviticus if the topic of religion is not health and hygiene?

• Ahsan

Moderator March 4, 2021 at 7:25 am

After reading this link https://www.preceptaustin.org/leviticus_1_commentary#Leviticus%20Commentary
    I can say that Initial chapters of leviticus are devoted to rules and regulation to be observed for offering prayer. Hence these guidelines.
    I think it is analogous performing wudu or ghusal verse in Quran. (thats my opinion i may be wrong)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 4, 2021 at 5:44 pm

This is from al bayan:

The moral leprosy with which Samiri was afflicted warranted that he be punished with physical leprosy. This is precisely what happened. The protocol that was prescribed within the Israelites to remain secure from the touch of lepers was implemented on him: he would forever declare to people that he was unclean and that no one should touch him. This of course was ultimate disgrace and humiliation beyond which nothing could be imagined. In the book of Leviticus of the Bible, this protocol has been mentioned thus:

Anyone with such a defiling disease must wear torn clothes, let their hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of their face and cry out, ‘Unclean! Unclean! As long as they have the disease they remain unclean. They must live alone; they must live outside the camp. (13:45-46)

I don’t see how keeping your hair unkempt has anything to do with cleanliness in the tazkiya sense

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 4, 2021 at 5:44 pm

It seems covering the lower part of the face eg the mouth and nose was specifically to keep diseases away.

• Ahsan

Moderator March 5, 2021 at 2:14 am

I think your point can be cleared with reference to – Leviticus 10:10 (NIV)

“So that you can distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean,”

I think it was symbolic way of identifying sick people from healthy

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 5, 2021 at 8:20 am

Exactly. It was to control disease. Why is religion controlling disease? What does it have to do with tazkiya?

• Ahsan

Moderator March 5, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Read this may be it will asnwer your query
    https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/pet/leviticus-13.html

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 5, 2021 at 11:40 pm

So I get it it’s like when we are in the state of major impurity we can’t enter masajid. But there is no religious prohibition on entering a masjid when you have a contagious disease. Nor does one have to wear niqab when this occurs. This idea of being ‘fully holy’ seems very Christian in the sense that humans are by default sinful. I think the chapter seems very clear that disease is trying to be controlled but don’t see why it is a religious ruling

• Ahsan

Moderator March 5, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Yeah but this is christian commentary. I am wondering about jews explanation to this.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register