Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 9:5 – Itmam-e-Hujjah And Children

• Quran 9:5 – Itmam-e-Hujjah And Children

Posted by Fahim Ahmed on March 3, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Were children also intended in the original directive of mass execution of the mushriks of Arabia as per Surah Taubah: 5? It’s a different issue that it didn’t materialize historically. Does the language and context dictate that the verse is ordering execution of children of Mushriks?

Fahim Ahmed replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Quran 9:5 – Itmam-e-Hujjah And Children

Fahim Ahmed updated 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 3, 2021 at 6:42 pm

Yes children were also included, as this was an azab from God. Please see the following video at 00:32:00:

ilm-o-Hikmat 26-01-2020

We have a complete FAQ on itmam-e-hujjah that you might also find useful:

Discussion 37972

• Fahim Ahmed

Member March 4, 2021 at 10:51 am

Thank you for sharing the link Faisal Haroon Sb. Let me elaborate what I was asking specifically. From the link that you shared of Ustadh-e-Muhtaram’s explanation (I only watched the discussion around 32:00), what I understand is that it was related to the divine wisdom of collateral damage (children, trees etc) when azab was inflicted on the nations of Nuh, Salih, Lut etc. I am convinced about the qanun e risalat as has been explained by Ustadh Ghamidi and how it relates to the mission of the last Prophet. What I was thinking is that, the way the divine judgment took place for the nation of Prophet Muhammad is not exactly the way it took place for the nation of Nuh. Even Ghamidi Sb agrees that the divine judgment that took place for the Arabs through Rasulullah had subtle nuances. Moreover it took place in a gradual manner, unlike the nation of Nuh, which happened instantly. Now it is rationally understandable, and Ustadh has always highlighted this fact in other discussions that a general usool would have variations in its applications. Now coming back to Quran 9:5, my question was specifically the divine intent of the directive. Can it be said that although a general punishment was declared for all the mushriks of Arabia, it is rational to assume the children were not included, given that there was an extra clause following 9:5,

“And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. (5) And if any one of the polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that he may hear the words of Allah. Then deliver him to his place of safety. That is because they are a people who do not know. (6)” (surah At-Taubah)

If even the mushriks are given respite for seeking asylum so that they can hear the word of Allah, isn’t it all the more reasonable to assume that the children of the mushriks should fall under this clause? Allah has every right to take lives of any human being the way he wants, we may not understand the wisdom. But did he actually intend a literal mass-execution in 9:5 given the clause proceeding afterwards. Is it a necessary element of the manifestation of the law of itmam al-hujjah that everyone has to be annihilated? We know that the itmam al-hujjah of Isa on bani-Israel materialized not in the form of absolute annihilation, but rather through political subjugation, that too spanned through history and not localized at a particular time and space.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 4, 2021 at 11:38 am

What you’re referring to as nuances are not random. Itmam-e-hujjah takes place in stages. Depending upon the behavior of a given nation not all stages would be rendered or even necessary.

Prophet Jesus’s addressees were in reality believers of monotheism, and the law itself has different a treatment for such people.

Itmam-e-hujjah or culmination of proof has to do with people who are able minded. It doesn’t apply to children. As Ghamidi sahab stated and is evident from history that children were also killed, so there’s no basis for the assumption that they were spared. This is quite comprehensible as a result of an azab, and the same applied to the previous nations who knowingly denied the truth as well.

When we understand this life in context then I don’t think that there’s any room left for objections. We existed before we were sent to earth, and we shall continue to exist even after we die. Our life in this world is just a temporary phase, and it’s entirely up to God that how long this phase lasts for each individual. We know that on the day of judgement no injustice shall be rendered to anyone, whether a child or an adult. Such children who did not have a chance to take the test of this life will most certainly not be held accountable for their actions.

• Fahim Ahmed

Member March 4, 2021 at 11:53 am

What about the basis in the Quran 9:6?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 4, 2021 at 12:03 pm

That’s about adult people.

• Fahim Ahmed

Member March 4, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Can you please provide the reference where the Prophet explicitly ordered to kill children?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 4, 2021 at 4:39 pm

Narrated As-Sab bin Jaththama: the Prophet passed by me at a place called Al-Abwa or Waddan, and was asked whether it was permissible to attack the pagan warriors at night with the probability of exposing their women and children to danger. The Prophet replied, “They (i.e. women and children) are from them (i.e. pagans).” I also heard the Prophet saying, “The institution of Hima is invalid except for Allah and His Apostle.” (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 256)

It is reported on the authority of Sa’b b. Jaththama that the Prophet of Allah (may peace be upon him), when asked about the women and children of the polytheists being killed during the night raid, said: They are from them. (Sahih Muslim, Book 019, Number 4321)

It is narrated by Sa’b b. Jaththama that he said (to the Holy Prophet): Messenger of Allah, we kill the children of the polytheists during the night raids. He said: They are from them. (Sahih Muslim, Book 019, Number 4322)

Sa’b b. Jaththama has narrated that the Prophet (may peace be upon him) asked: What about the children of polytheists killed by the cavalry during the night raid? He said: They are from them. (Sahih Muslim, Book 019, Number 4323).

• Fahim Ahmed

Member March 4, 2021 at 7:07 pm

JazakAllah khair Faisal Sb.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register