A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Wudhu With Wet Wipes

Tagged: 

• Wudhu With Wet Wipes

Ahsan updated 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 5, 2021 at 6:58 pm

Quran verse 5:6 has explicitly stated that in the absence of water tayyamum should be performed. That leaves no room for substitutions for wipes or anything else.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member March 5, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Thank you Faisal. I agree with the answer but I am not satisfied with the logic. Islam is a logical religion and I see the purpose of Wudhu is to maintain minimum standard of cleanliness.

So I have a few related questions. Let me know and I will submit them separately if necessary.

A wet towel also contains water and cleans as much as running water. So why running water for wudhu is required? Does Quran mention running water?

Similarly it never made sense to me why passing gas breaks the wudhu. Is there a specific mention of this in Quran or is it Ijtihad?

Also even after wudhu with water why prayer is ok when people have strong body odor, foot odor or breath odor. Doesn’t having odor negate the purpose of wudhu?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 5, 2021 at 9:58 pm

While it’s true that most things in Islam can be understood logically, God’s claim is not that. Instead God’s claim is that Islam is based on fitrah (Quran verse 30:30). Furthermore, logical doesn’t mean that each person can interpret things in Islam based on their own logic. We must instead first understand God’s intent and then strive to find logical justifications for His directives.

Quran verse 5:6 only mentions water; there’s no explicit requirement for running water. The temperament of the shariah is that if a directive cannot be followed in its original form or causes an undue difficulty, then it must be followed in its lesser form. If such lesser form is not directly available in the sources of Islam then of course ijtihad can be done. However, in case of wudu, God has already clearly given us tayyamum as the lesser form so there’s no need for any ijtihad.

• Ahsan

Moderator March 8, 2021 at 4:43 am

In recent Q&A Session with Ghamidi Sahab on Questions selected from ASK GHAMIDI Platform:

For answer to your question, please refer to the video below from 1:12:35 to 1:15:05

https://youtu.be/cEMPPtUpRnM?t=4355

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register