Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 29:27- Prophets In The Progeny Of Ibrahim AS

• Quran 29:27- Prophets In The Progeny Of Ibrahim AS

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on March 5, 2021 at 7:19 pm

Ibrahim AS had three wives: Sara, Hagar and Keturah. Of them, the children from Sara and Hagar were Ishaaq and Ismael respectively. With Keturah, he had Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak. The history is not well known but these people are said to have perhaps gone all the way to India and Europe.

وَوَهَبْنَا لَهُ إِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَجَعَلْنَا فِي ذُرِّيَّتِهِ النُّبُوَّةَ وَالْكِتَابَ وَآتَيْنَاهُ أَجْرَهُ فِي الدُّنْيَا وَإِنَّهُ فِي الْآخِرَةِ لَمِنَ الصَّالِحِين

Here the mutaliq bil fil is muqaddam (fi dhuriyatihu) so could imply takhsis or tawkeed. So it seems that the prophethood was made specifc to his progeny. Usually it is assumed that the prophets were only in bani ishaaq until Muhammad SAW. But what about the children of keturah? Is it not fully possible that there were prophets in this progeny that we are not told of and their tales were not told in the Quran and have been lost to history?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Quran 29:27- Prophets In The Progeny Of Ibrahim AS

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator March 5, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Since we dont get any information directly from Quran so we can just speculate.
    Also, one thing which i realized in Quran is that it uses historical reference to make a point. In this regard, a known story will do a better job then unknown

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 5, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Yes but to say that prophethood was only in bani israel would be a claim that is also unsupported correct? Sure we can say that Arabs had no prophet because Quran says that they had no Warner before Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم

• Ahsan

Moderator March 5, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Where Quran claims that can you provide reference?
    Its strange to me because Hazrat Saleh was in arabia too.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 5, 2021 at 11:47 pm

32:3. For saleh and hud عليه السلام I have heard they were pre ibrahim. Though this surah could simply mean the quraysh specifically because saleh and aad would’ve been sent to other tribes I guess

• Ahsan

Moderator March 5, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Thanks for reference. I will read about it in details
    Meanwhile, I will request @faisalharoon sb or @Irfan76 sb to answer your query

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 7, 2021 at 11:55 pm

The third son’s progeny was never given prophethood as we know from the Bible and the Quran. Giving prophethood in the line of Abraham does not necessarily include all his progeny.

The verse you mentioned about no warner was sent to Bani Ishmael before Muhammad implies that Quraysh were the progeny of Ishmael, and in this sense, Ishmael was not sent to them rather they were born to him and after wards as believers initially so no warner they needed then and no warner sent to them since they went astray.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 8, 2021 at 2:13 am

Surely just because the Quran is silent about the third branch doesn’t mean that it didn’t have prophethood?

Also من ذريته متعلق بالخبر مقدم. So is there implied takhsis in this sentence because of this?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 9, 2021 at 7:50 am

The verse never said the whole progeny will be chosen. If bani israel were chosen only the verse even then suffices its meaning. It doesn’t say All of them.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 9, 2021 at 7:52 am

Yes but does it imply that it would ONLY be in his progeny from now on? Because of the grammar I stayed above? And also I’m not sure if we can claim that there were no messengers to another branch because we don’t have an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 9, 2021 at 7:54 am

Yes we can’t claim nor can we claim there were prophets among them without any Nass or historical evidence

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 9, 2021 at 7:55 am

Ok that makes sense perfect. And the ayah does imply that the nabuwwah is now only in the progeny if ibrahim عليه السلام right? That nabuwwah has ended in all other lineages except ibrahim عليه السلام ‘s?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 10, 2021 at 9:20 am

No. we can’t reach the conclusion from the words definitely that it is limited to Abraham’s progeny. it only mentions it and does not mention others which implies that it might be not for others. Then the factual positions confirms that it is not for others.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register