Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums World Religions Why Muslims Are Called Hagareans In Christian History?

• Why Muslims Are Called Hagareans In Christian History?

Posted by umer Khan on March 6, 2021 at 5:11 am

I have read many historical christian literacture of 7th century . Why all of their historians mentioned muslims as a hagarens instead of meccans or medianians and Pagans .. sarcens .. arabs instead of muslims ? Orientalists claim that initially arabs were pagans till the time of Marwan II. The question arises that why all of christian literature is full with it and sometimes theywrite muslims and pagans all together after marwan’s era . But our history tellsus that pagans were swipe out in the timeline of prophet PBUH. How we approch to truth?

Ahsan replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Why Muslims Are Called Hagareans In Christian History?

Ahsan updated 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator March 6, 2021 at 6:52 am

First, Hagareans means children of Hagar and its common conception that Arabs are descent of Hazrat hajra or Hagar in english.

I have forgotton the reference (I think probably it was european history couse by yale university available on utube). I will summarize what it said
    “The problem with most of orientalist and western historian is they dont consider Arabic history as source. They rely on roman historians which were at war with Muslims. Hence, they were painted as evil or pagans to gather moral support. However, ancient armenian history scroll shows a different picture of coexistence and harmony”

Here you have to understand one thing, Modern historians deny Prophet Mohammad saw existence because there is no documented proof available. Also, they mention that there are christian scrolls which talk about encounter of with muslims in 7th century.
    Here In my opinion,
    1)Either they are biased (in case of orientalist, u can read cticism on orientalist by book Edward Said) or have meterialistic approach

2) Either dont consider oral transmission as source

3) Or they are unaware arab tradition for oral transmission

There are lot of historians who donot deny existence of Mohammad Saw.

Finding turht in history is very difficult and always come with uncertainity. We can only say that event happened but we can never be sure about details. Eg recent senate election in pakistan. we know that happened but the why how it created nuisance we can not be sure. It will be just speculations.

Iwill suggest you to to focus on message of Quran o sunnah as history donot add any value to the message.

Kindly listen to the following video from 41:32 and onwards
    https://youtu.be/ILOXpSXJiK8

• umer Khan

Member March 6, 2021 at 9:07 am

Jazak Allah hu khaira brother ahsan

• Ahsan

Moderator March 6, 2021 at 1:56 pm

I found reference for the passage I summarized it was this book Envisioning Islam: Syriac Christians and the Early Muslim World.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register