Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Arabic Language Of The Quran

Tagged: 

• Arabic Language Of The Quran

Posted by Nehal Arshad on March 12, 2021 at 1:20 pm

Salaam Alaikum,

I have noticed some English and Urdu translations about an arabic word used in the quran whose translation isn’t anything what I have studied. I want clarification since I think I am missing something:

This is the second verse of Surah Baqarah which starts from:

ذٰلِكَ الكِتٰب

And the verse continues. Now according to what I have studied ‘zalik’ in arabic means ‘that’ and Al-Kitaab is ‘the book’ so its translation should be “That is the book…”. Also, I read Surah Naba (78:39):

ذَٰلِكَ الْيَوْمُ الْحَقُّ

It is translated correctly as “That is the Day of Truth…” And many other places where I have seen the word ‘zaalik’ its translation has been “that”

Am I not understanding something here? Because in every translation that I have read whether English or Urdu I have seen that the second verse of Surah Baqarah is translated as “This is the book…” while according to my little knowledge it should be “That is the book…”

Kindly explain so that I can find some peace. Thank you.

Ahsan replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Arabic Language Of The Quran

Ahsan updated 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Ahsan

Moderator March 12, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Language is not logic. it has to be interpreted according to the context. Kindly watch following video from 42 min onwards on the better understadning of translation

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register