Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 21:7 – Only Male Messengers?

Tagged: 

• Quran 21:7 – Only Male Messengers?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on March 13, 2021 at 3:09 pm

Al-Anbiya – 21:7

Arabic

وَمَآ أَرۡسَلۡنَا قَبۡلَكَ إِلَّا رِجَالًا نُّوحِىٓ إِلَيۡهِمْۖ فَسۡـَٔلُوٓاْ أَهۡلَ ٱلذِّكۡرِ إِن كُنتُمۡ لَا تَعۡلَمُونَ

Does this ayah imply there were only male messengers because of the use of rijaal?

In 33:4 rajul is used but seems to imply humans in general. Ghamidi sahab translates it as human too for 21:7 but the word rijaal is used so I’m not sure

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Quran 21:7 – Only Male Messengers?

• Umer

Moderator March 14, 2021 at 6:34 pm

For answer, please refer to the link below from 26:48 to 27:30

ilm-o-Hikmat 13-03-2016

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 14, 2021 at 6:37 pm

I mean that would be a good answer but does this ayah even imply that? There could have been some matriarchal systems in which female messengers would’ve worked

• Umer

Moderator March 14, 2021 at 6:46 pm

I also think it is referring to humans in general, but since it was being said in a male dominated society of Arab, so it could also have that subtle reference. But hard to say conclusively.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 14, 2021 at 6:48 pm

Maybe @Irfan76 can comment on the linguistics

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 21, 2021 at 8:22 am

The word used is Rijaal which means men. There are words for human in Arabic but God used Rijaal which definitely means men.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 21, 2021 at 9:07 am

Is 21:7 referring to only men as well? I think the context allows for that

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 21, 2021 at 9:08 am

it is only for men.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 21, 2021 at 9:16 am

Before you also, whichever messenger We sent, We have sent from among human beings to whom We would send revelations. So, ask the people of the reminder, if you people do not know.7

This is Ghamidi sahab’s translation. Would you say the use of the the word ‘human beings’ is wrong? Because the context is of course quraysh wanting an angel messenger. I guess the word isn’t بشر so the translation should say men right?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 21, 2021 at 9:36 am

I don’t know if it is translated as human. Although the context emphasizes the human aspect of a messenger, yet the word Rijaal leaves not room for taking it both man and women.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register