Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 4:157 – Was Isa عليه السلام Killed By The Romans?

Tagged: , ,

• Quran 4:157 – Was Isa عليه السلام Killed By The Romans?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on March 20, 2021 at 4:53 pm

An-Nisa’ – 4:157

Arabic

وَقَوۡلِهِمۡ إِنَّا قَتَلۡنَا ٱلۡمَسِيحَ عِيسَى ٱبۡنَ مَرۡيَمَ رَسُولَ ٱللَّهِ وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ وَمَا صَلَبُوهُ وَلَٰكِن شُبِّهَ لَهُمْۚ وَإِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱخۡتَلَفُواْ فِيهِ لَفِى شَكٍّ مِّنۡهُۚ مَا لَهُم بِهِۦ مِنۡ عِلۡمٍ إِلَّا ٱتِّبَاعَ ٱلظَّنِّۚ وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ يَقِينًۢا

The word mentioned is قولهم. ‘Their saying’. And all the verbs are in the third person. So is it possible this ayah is saying that the Jews didn’t kill him but the Romans did?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Quran 4:157 – Was Isa عليه السلام Killed By The Romans?

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years ago 2 Members · 20 Replies
  • Faizan Ahmed

Member March 20, 2021 at 5:01 pm

Well Allah has said in Surah al-Imran that “We will cause you to die and raise you up…”. Ghamidi sab explains that it was so that the Jews wouldn’t disrespect his body. Why would God let the romans disrespect it? I believe he died a natural death.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 5:05 pm

I thought of this too but you have to prove it was to stop them defiling

Aal-e-Imran – 3:55

Arabic

إِذۡ قَالَ ٱللَّهُ يَٰعِيسَىٰٓ إِنِّى مُتَوَفِّيكَ وَرَافِعُكَ إِلَىَّ وَمُطَهِّرُكَ مِنَ ٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ وَجَاعِلُ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱتَّبَعُوكَ فَوۡقَ ٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُوٓاْ إِلَىٰ يَوۡمِ ٱلۡقِيَٰمَةِۖ ثُمَّ إِلَىَّ مَرۡجِعُكُمۡ فَأَحۡكُمُ بَيۡنَكُمۡ فِيمَا كُنتُمۡ فِيهِ تَخۡتَلِفُونَ

Maybe the phrase ومطهرك من الذين كفروا could lead us to believe that.

• Faizan Ahmed

Member March 20, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Yeah I believe “purify you from these disbelievers” proves it.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 5:09 pm

Hmm interesting let’s see what other people have to say too إن شاء الله

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Him being purified from the Disbelivers could’ve been like this:

The Romans killed him,

God raised him up

So it doesn’t really change it does it?

• Faizan Ahmed

Member March 20, 2021 at 5:24 pm

Just came to my mind that it is the law of God(sunnah-e- illahi) that a messenger is always kept safe and “galib” to the disbelievers. I so guess it means no one can kill him?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 5:54 pm

The Quran mentioned (I don’t remember exact ayah) that even if Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم was killed that they will get their punishment. After all isa عليه السلام was taken away from the Jews. The domination remains in message

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 5:20 pm

But perhaps if the wording is that the Jews say they killed him- whether they physically did or not, if they got him to be killed they are no less murderers than the people who would’ve nailed his body to the cross. So I guess that means the Romans didn’t kill him either

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 5:37 pm

There is one argument that the Jews basically stole the kill from the romans. Like the romans killed isa AS and the Jews just said oh we killed him

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 5:41 pm

so like their slander or maryam AS in 4:156, this is also a conjectured lie of theirs

• Faizan Ahmed

Member March 20, 2021 at 5:49 pm

What I said above still stands.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 20, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Which one sorry?

• Faizan Ahmed

Member March 21, 2021 at 6:16 am

It is a law/practice of God(sunnah-e- illahi) that a messenger is always kept safe and “galib” to the disbelievers. I so guess it means no one can kill him?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 21, 2021 at 9:18 am

There is an ayah in perhaps surah ahzaab which says that Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم could be killed or maybe he would stay alive. This would not be said if this is what the sunnat e ilahi meant

• Faizan Ahmed

Member March 21, 2021 at 3:12 pm

I guess it’s just a rhetorical question. Like the Quran says to the prophet “if you have doubt about the revelation….” or “if God had a son…”.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 21, 2021 at 3:13 pm

As irfan sahab detailed in the argument above I think the prophet dominating pesky have to be in his presence. Like he said no prophet really witnesses the destruction rather they migrate before it occurs

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 21, 2021 at 9:20 am

Here is a discussion we had on this exact topic Discussion 31434

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 21, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Is the possibility then there that the Jews simply took the kill from the Romans and their lie is being highlighted? Because it’s وقولهم. It’s their saying something that seems to be highlighted.

The Romans didn’t want anything to do with a messiah so it would make sense that they killed him

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 21, 2021 at 3:15 pm

But the question then would arise what was شبه لهم. Perhaps that is where this theory falls apart. God tells us in 4:158 what actually occurred and he didn’t say بل قتلوه الروم

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 16, 2021 at 9:46 am

A theory is that in 4:158 يا رفعه الله اليه refers just to the soul of isa عليه السلام

And the شبه لهم is that the Jews thought that they had killed isa عليه السلام . And the Jews were saying with pride that ‘yes we have killed him’. And the Quran says that this was made seem true to them.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register