Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Judgement Of People With Mental Illness

Tagged: ,

• Judgement Of People With Mental Illness

Posted by Arslan Saleem on March 23, 2021 at 2:53 am

What does Quran and Hadith tells us about judgement of those, who die, while they were mentally ill?

My mother(May Allah be pleased with her) had hallucinations(Audible). Most of her life, she was very good with people around her, she used to pray whenever she got mentally fit, she used to spend most of her resources for helping others. Even during her illness, she never hurt anybody. She taught me how to pray. But almost for half of her life, she had this mental illness. I have never seen her without medication of this mental illness in my lifetime(32 years). even at her death bed, she wasn’t mentally stable. She died peacefully without any alarms, just like a bird flies away, hardly a 5 minute process.

My intuition and understanding of Islam has answer to this question but i still want to know about some clear references from Holy Quran and Hadith.

Ahsan replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Judgement Of People With Mental Illness

Ahsan updated 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Ahsan

Moderator March 23, 2021 at 5:54 am

إِنَّا لِلَّٰهِ وَإِنَّا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعُونَ‎

May Allah grant highest place in jannah to your mother. ameen

What will actually happen on judgment day, we cannot be sure. However, we can infer and hope for best.

I dont remember any Quranic verse mentioning specifically about judging mentally ill people. But from overall Quranic perspective, there will be justice by Allah in accordance with the conditions of that person.

However a hadith says

“The Prophet (ﷺ) said: There are three (persons) whose actions are not recorded: a sleeper till he awakes, a boy till he reaches puberty, and a lunatic till he comes to reason.” Abu Dawud said: Ibn Juraij has transmitted it from Al-Qasim b. Yazid on the authority of ‘Ali from the Prophet (ﷺ). This version adds: “and an old man who is feeble-minded.

(https://sunnah.com/abudawud/40/53)

I hope this helps.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register