Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam What Was The Moon Like When It Split?

Tagged: ,

• What Was The Moon Like When It Split?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on March 29, 2021 at 5:02 pm

The word used in surah qamar is أنشق. This is used for a rock cracking. So did the moon split in half like the ahadith say or did a part just come off and float away? I wrote word used in the Quran so what would make us accept a certain intepretation? Since clearly the Quran is creating imagery so we should be able to imagine it

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 3 years ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • What Was The Moon Like When It Split?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 3 years ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 31, 2021 at 6:45 am

kindly watch the series Shaqqul Qamar in 23 Aetrazaat series.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 6:46 am

I have seen it but to say it was above two mountains implies that we have to understand quran from ahadith

• Haris Virk

Moderator March 31, 2021 at 6:53 am

Assalam-u-Alaikum, I don’t think there is a contradiction between the two. So, while the Quran doesn’t go into the details and tells us that the moon was cleft asunder/burst apart, the ahadith describe it a bit more in detail as to how exactly it looked like after it burst apart.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 6:54 am

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

It’s very different if something splits in two and comes back compared to a part of the moon just cracking off and floating away in my opinion

• Haris Virk

Moderator March 31, 2021 at 6:57 am

There doesn’t seem to be any hint in the Quran about either of the two situations. So, I don’t see how ‘burst open’ necessarily implies that it has floated away never to come back.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 6:59 am

It simply says that it cracked. Like a rock cracks. So the implication should be that when a rock cracks it can’t come back together

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 9, 2021 at 1:12 am

It is not necessary that the opposite meaning are always necessary to imply. Quran mentions only its split. it does not mean the two parts never came back to join. since we see the moon complete we can can come to conclusion by ourselves that the two both the parts had come back to join again. same said the narration.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 9, 2021 at 10:46 am

Couldn’t the word imply that a part of the moon split off and then flew away?

• Ali

Member April 9, 2021 at 12:07 pm

It is a good point. Splitting a part of it and split part small enough for moon to regain its round shape by isostatic adjustment. Or just another miracle.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 12, 2021 at 9:17 am

Further is speculations, can’t be confirmed by the religious sources.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 12, 2021 at 9:18 am

But the Quran is supposed to be clear. It’s creating an image. So surely the image should be clear somehow by the Quran itself

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 12, 2021 at 9:26 am

Quran talk about the only the miraculous part of the incident. and it is clear about it. The rest is not its subject.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register