Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Is Cigarette Forbidden?

Tagged: ,

• Is Cigarette Forbidden?

Posted by Faiq Laiq on March 31, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Assalam o Alaikum!

I have seen a video clip of Ustaz Javed Ahmed Ghamidi about cigarettes. He said in that clip that cigarette is forbidden because our environment and other persons are getting affected.

When I argued this point of view with one of my friends, he replied “In same way if we drive a vehicle then we are infecting the environment and other people also. So if cigarette is forbidden according to above mentioned reason so should all other things that fall in this category must be forbidden.”

I can give several examples of daily life things. But I hope you have understood the question. Please put some light on the issue.

Thanks in anticipation 🙂

Faiq Laiq replied 3 years ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Is Cigarette Forbidden?

Faiq Laiq updated 3 years ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • Muhammad Abdullah

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm

Let’s have an analytical approach at the provided example of “driving causing a harm”. If you’re driving unlicensed then definitely yes that is wrong (could qualify as haraam) since you’re not authorized or deemed fit to drive and by driving you are putting your and others lives at risk however, once you pass the driving test and obey the traffic laws, which are meant to offer safety for all, then there is no way you could regard it as wrong/haraam. Regarding the emissions, one should always go for the best practices however, it is not that you are “driving to pollute”. Imagine using a horse/mule to ride instead. They do emit gases (like really), they do excrete, and they do pollute. This does not mean that you’d not ride a mule. Similarly, cars are intended to drive/commute and not to pollute unlike Cigarettes.

With Cigarettes, one might argue that when you’re in a designated area, then possibly you could do that but if you’re in an open public area with other people who are non-smokers then definitely it is considered a wrong/haraam act as you clearly are putting other people lives at risk, scientifically. You’re making them breathe the toxicity that they do not want to. It is just like injuring someone for no reason which is haraam!

My two cents.

• Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:25 pm
  • Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:29 pm
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 31, 2021 at 7:47 pm

There can be differences of opinion in such matters, however, when we know with certainty that smoking is harmful for us as well as others, as God conscious Muslims we should accept it and try to quit the habit. The very least we should do is to only smoke in designated smoking areas. As Muslims we are required to be sensitive about our own well being as well as that of others around us. Justifying well-known wrongs eventually lead us to the path of arrogance and rebellion against God.

• Faiq Laiq

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:57 pm

Jazak Allah Khair everyone. May Allah guide us all to the right path. Ameen 🙂

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register