Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Symbolism Behind Raising Hands At The Start Of The Prayer

Tagged: 

• Symbolism Behind Raising Hands At The Start Of The Prayer

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on March 31, 2021 at 3:42 pm

What is the symbolism behind this? Is it like raising your hands to surrender like people surrender in front of the police or an enemy?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 3 years ago 6 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • Symbolism Behind Raising Hands At The Start Of The Prayer

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 3 years ago 6 Members · 31 Replies
  • Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:38 pm

Allah teaches us in the Quran that tadaru’ is a form of worship a believer uses during emergencies and crises. It requires a person to remove the veils of arrogance and ego covering his or her heart. It implies sincere pleading to the Lord of the Worlds. It demonstrates that a person has realized how weak he is and how Powerful our Lord is. Sometimes when Allah sees that His servants are becoming distracted with this worldly life and have strayed from the Straight Path, He puts them in a trying situation so that they realize their weakness and run back to God for protection. Therefore calamities falling upon Muslims are to make them wake up and turn back to Allah. We must be thoughtful and perceptive enough to understand these messages and act upon them.

Allah The Almighty says, “Verily, We sent (Messengers) to many nations before you (O Muhammad). And we seized them with extreme poverty (or loss in wealth) and loss in health (with calamities) so that they might humble themselves (believe with humility).” (Quran 6:42).

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 7:40 pm

Yes but what does the symbolism imply? Is it what I said? Some people say it’s throwing the dunya behind you but I don’t find this convincing

• Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:42 pm

Those who say that it is like throwing the dunya behind are wrong.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 7:42 pm

So what is the real thing?

• Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Read above!

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 7:44 pm

I don’t see how doing rafa yadein suggests any of what is written above

• Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:45 pm

Rafayadain is a totally different topic. I suggest to start a new Question hot that.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 7:46 pm

Rafa yadein is the topic of this thread. Please read the title again

• Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 7:48 pm

You are right. My apologies! I was just lost in your questions.!

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 7:49 pm

👍

• Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 8:04 pm

Allah says in the Glorious Qur’an,

“O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And if you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is the best [way] and best in result.” – Qur’an 4:59

“Whatever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatever he forbids you, leave it.” – Qur’an 59:7

“Pray as you have seen me praying…”- Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 11, Hadith 604.

Narrated Salim bin ‘Abdullah: My father said, “Allah’s Apostle used to raise both his hands up to the level of his shoulders when opening the prayer; and on saying the Takbir for bowing. And on raising his head from bowing he used to do the same and then say “Sami a-l-lahu Liman hamida, Rabbana walaka-l-hamd.” And he did not do that (i.e. raising his hands) in prostrations. (Book #12, Hadith #702)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 8:05 pm

I’m asking for the symbolism not the ruling

• Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 8:13 pm

Muslim follow what Prophet Muhammad pbuh did without asking unnecessary questions:

“O you who believe! Ask not about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. But if you ask about them while the Quran is being revealed, they will be made plain to you. Allah has forgiven that, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Forbearing”

[al-Maa’idah 5:101].

This verse forbade the believers to ask the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) about matters concerning which Allah had not said anything in His Book and had not said anything concerning them; splitting hairs and asking too many details about them might lead to them being prohibited, which would cause them hardship.

Source: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/187398/commentary-on-the-verse-o-you-who-believe-ask-not-about-things-which-if-made-plain-to-you-may-cause-you-trouble

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 8:14 pm

I am not questioning whether to do it or not. I am simply curious about the symbolism

• Munnoo Khan

Member March 31, 2021 at 8:19 pm

Read above. I just replied you in my last post.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 31, 2021 at 8:19 pm

Ok I think we should perhaps wait for someone else’s view

• Umer

Moderator April 1, 2021 at 12:06 pm

Please refer to the video below from 4:06 to 4:51

https://youtu.be/H61tOXuq7H0?t=246

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 1, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Sorry I am asking specifically for the symbolism of raising our hands. I understand it is a part of the prayer but what is the symbolism? For example, the sajda is a symbolism of completely submitting yourself to a being. You put your head, your arguable most honourable part of your body, in the ground.

So what is the symbolism behind rafa yadein? Is it basically like us surrendering in front of a police officer?

• Asmar Shahid

Member April 2, 2021 at 2:05 am

Bro sorry to say, you should not put a question mark where Allah has put a full stop, Allah says in Quran several times, “And Allah knows what you don’t know”, You are trying to match Quran with science with a reason behind, but technically speaking, science isn’t reliable at all, coz it is man made,

• Munnoo Khan

Member April 2, 2021 at 4:18 am

👍

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 2, 2021 at 6:46 am

This is not what I am doing. I have not said that I will not raise my hands if I don’t know the symbolism. I am simply asking a reasonable question so I can better concentrate and understand the purpose of the prayer.

How do you know God has put a fill stop there? Did he tell you ‘raise your hands and don’t ask anything’. No he did not. We are supposed to be curious and ask questions about symbolisms. Of course this should not affect سمعنا واطعنا

• Asmar Shahid

Member April 2, 2021 at 9:11 am

Maybe its some kind of exercise that Allah want us to do, maybe doing it is healthy for us, or maybe something better, just believe that whatever this is, it can be for good only, regarding your question, no scholar has gone this deeper, i would suggest that these are whispers of satan, even if you know that this is not gonna disturb your prayer or iman, but still, that’s how satan plays with you, satan would whisper things like these to distract you and slowly when you’ll not find answer, you’ll feel detracted, the reason why scholars have not touched this topic is because when you reach a higher state of iman, satan knows these things ain’t gonna work, so maybe they never got this idea, an extra advise, questioning is one of satan’s tool, like you must’ve heard the story of jews when they were asked to slaughter a cow, just start believing without reason, and maybe it seems you are a follower of Ghamidi, I’m not targeting anyone but as a muslim, it is obligatory upon me to warn you of such Fitna, Bro !, this man says what liberals wanna hear, He has literally destroyed Islam by connecting it to science with a logic behind everything, He has denied many Ahadith and Quranic Verses, well, this isn’t the right place to talk about this, we can talk in detail if you wish, i’m dropping my insta : asmarshahid.official

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 2, 2021 at 9:12 am

Hopefully you can make a new topic. I would like to know where Ghamidi sahab has denied Quranic ayaat. Please @ me in them.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 2, 2021 at 9:12 am

As for the original question perhaps it is best that someone like @Irfan76 answers it إن شاء الله

• Faizan Ahmed

Member April 2, 2021 at 1:08 pm

Yes, you are right. It is a symbol of surrendering before Allah. Watch the video shared by the moderator above.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 2, 2021 at 4:51 pm

Ghamidi sahab seems to say it’s raising your hands from the dunya. But that doesn’t really seem like it makes sense does it? I’m not sure what do you think- which one makes more sense?

• Faizan Ahmed

Member April 2, 2021 at 7:46 pm

You’re raising hands from the dunya for Allah. Like for a few minutes you disconnect from dunya and try to connect with Allah. It means perfect senses to me. Can you suggest a better symbol? At last it’s up to God how he likes it.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 2, 2021 at 7:48 pm

No sorry I mean that what is the correct interpretation of raising the hands. What doesn’t make sense to me is how it signifies taking your hand of this dunya. It makes more sense that it symbolises surrendering in front of an authority like in front of police

• Faizan Ahmed

Member April 2, 2021 at 8:26 pm

I mean so you are surrendering in front of God, to put it that way? Surrendering to police is a good example. That’s what people usually do before surrendering. Like sujood is a symbol of respect raising hands is of surrendering.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 3, 2021 at 11:40 am

Ok so sure it’s like surrendering in front of the police. That makes sense.

What I meant above was that I don’t understand what Ghamidi sahab meant by ‘taking your hands of the dunya’ and how raising the hands accomplishes that

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 9, 2021 at 1:01 am

It is the symbol to get cut off from other activities to start worship.

it is said that this is the gesture of Bara’at that man is getting rid of other things, resultantly the same as said earlier.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register