Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Getting Rid Of Haram Earning

Tagged: , ,

• Getting Rid Of Haram Earning

Posted by Ammar Afzal on April 8, 2021 at 10:25 am

Assalamualaikum ! I earned some money by using copyrighted content on my website a few months ago. At that time I never thought that whether the money I am earning is Halal or not. After being in this state for some months I realized that using copyrighted content to earn money out of it is prohibited and I must stop it. I put off that work and stopped using the copyrighted content anymore but I still have the money I earned out of it. I have repented to Allah and promised that I would never do this sort of work in future. My question is what should I do with that money. Is it compulsory to give that money to Charity as there is no way I can contact the big companies (whose content I used) and return the money to them. Or can I use this money for myself. Kindly guide me on this issue

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Getting Rid Of Haram Earning

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Munnoo Khan

Member April 8, 2021 at 10:54 am

When a person repents to Allaah from doing haraam work, from which he has acquired wealth, such as payment for singing, bribes, payment for fortunetelling or bearing false witness, payment for recording riba and other kinds of haraam work, if he has disposed of that wealth, he does not have to do anything. But if the wealth is still in his possession, then he must get rid of it by spending it on charitable causes, unless he is in need, in which case he may take only as much as he needs, and he should get rid of the rest.Source: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/78289/how-to-dispose-of-haraam-wealth-after-repenting

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 8, 2021 at 11:04 am

The right way to return the money to the copyright owners would be to legally buy their product now. If that’s not possible then you may choose to donate that money to another cause.

• Ammar Afzal

Member April 8, 2021 at 11:12 am

The product is specific for a country where I don’t live so there is no way I can buy that product. The situation is like I made that product available to people free of cost and I earned via the ads placed on my website

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 8, 2021 at 11:15 am

That’s fine. You can sincerely give that money in a good cause and hope that you will be forgiven insha’allah.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register