Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Reciting Vs Listening The Quran

Tagged: ,

• Reciting Vs Listening The Quran

Posted by Muhammad Abdullah on April 12, 2021 at 7:57 am

In a recent video (https://youtu.be/W2_Vf0CODFs) it is said that we can even listen to the Quran (after reciting Surah Fatiha) in Fard awa nafl prayers. I can understand that during nafl prayers, if someone wants to finish Quran, it is understandable to hold mus’haf and then recite but listening to it, particularly when you are not behind an Imam, seems a lot different and probably a Biddat?

Where is this conclusion coming from in which we are replacing the actual recital part with only the listening part? During Jamaat, it is understandable that Imam is reciting and you’re listening however, what if even Imam is listening to the Quran on mobile phone? How’d that be justified?

Umer replied 3 years ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Reciting Vs Listening The Quran

Umer updated 3 years ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • Muhammad Abdullah

Member April 12, 2021 at 7:59 am

This reminds me of the previous question on Concrete definition of Bidah and a few examples. Is it still in the queue to be answered by Ghamidi shb?

Thanks

@UmerQureshi

• Umer

Moderator April 14, 2021 at 4:32 pm

That question was forwarded to Hassan Sahab for his response.

Regarding your current question, how is this a Biddat when reciting and listening to Qirat are the same acts which can be clearly inferred from Jamat Salah. Even in individual Salah, whether you’re reciting yourself or listening to Quran instead, it is effectively the same act.

• Muhammad Abdullah

Member April 14, 2021 at 4:52 pm

In Jamaat, it (listening to Quran recitation of Imam) is proved from Prophet/Sunnah but for individual prayers, this has never been something that Prophet did or taught (again going back to the definition of Bidah; something adding in Islam which is not coming from Prophet).

Same goes for holding Quran in hand when praying. This clearly is a new act in one of the pillars of Islam and is not something proven from the prophet.

• Umer

Moderator April 14, 2021 at 5:15 pm

The Quran is constant in every scenario, its physical shape and form can vary with time. Therefore, whether one holds it and recites it, doesn’t make any difference. It is the same Quran that one is reciting.

Regarding listening part in individual Salah, if a principle has been established in congregational Salah that one should listen to Qirat of Imam, which implies that listening is equivalent to reciting, then why can’t the same principle be applied to individual Salah? it is an ijtihadi application, but has a sound reasoning underneath. It is an application of principle and not an addition.

• Muhammad Abdullah

Member April 14, 2021 at 7:20 pm

Sure, I understand the reasoning behind the listening. How about holding the mushaf while praying and that too in the Fard salah?

On what usool this has been inferenced?

• Umer

Moderator April 15, 2021 at 3:45 pm

The requirement is recitation from Quran, there is no condition whether it is to be recited from memory or by any other mean. When Quran is to be recited, what difference does it make whether it is being recited from memory or from Mushaf? Just because the physical form of Quran has changed, how can this render the reciting from Quran part ineffective based upon how one is reciting from it? As long as it is from Quran, the requirement is met according to my understanding.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 14, 2021 at 4:35 pm

Can the mushaf have a translation in it? Like on my phone I have an app that has two or three translation? I would still read the arabic

• Umer

Moderator April 14, 2021 at 4:40 pm

I don’t see any reason why you can’t. I personally think it’s even more effective.

• Afia Khan

Member April 14, 2021 at 6:21 pm

In my knowledge for fardh salah we cannot but for nawafil we can hold the mishap. And all three madhahib other then Ahnaaf have the same ruling that muqtadi cannot recite behind imam for Jahri (loud) part.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register