Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Science Is Time Of Death Predetermined Per Quran?

• Is Time Of Death Predetermined Per Quran?

Posted by Beenish Hussain on July 8, 2020 at 6:36 pm

My question is that indeed every soul shall taste death, but is the “time” of our death predetermined by Allah? If so, can you quote from Quran please? Or is it right to believe that we all have a shelf life and will die sooner or later depending on ones health/circumstances.

For example, if someone gets COVID-19, then is it right to believe (per Quran) that if I am “predestined” to die from COVID then I will, otherwise I won’t. This doesn’t imply that one does not take precaution! Hope question is clear.

Rafia Khawaja replied 3 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Is Time Of Death Predetermined Per Quran?

Rafia Khawaja updated 3 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 8, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Summary of Response:

Whatever is written about our fate and death, concerns Allah’s knowledge (‘ilm’) about our fate. His prior knowledge does not mean that we are under any compulsion to do what has been written. It only means that He knows what we are going to do. Consequently, if Allah knows beforehand that such and such people will go to Hell or certain others will go to heaven or the time of a person’s death, then it only means that such people will do the deeds which will lead them to such results. In other words, a person’s deeds/actions/sequence of events chosen by him will determine his fate only. However, whatever deeds he will do are already in the knowledge of Allah.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member July 9, 2020 at 2:26 pm

This question should not only be limited to the time of death. In other words, if you read the book of God, you will come to the conclusion that everything that happens, wherever it happens whenever it happens, is all by the permission of God, by the ‘izn’ of God in religious terminology.

So as for your question, yes if God wills you to die from covid, He will make it happen and the answer will be negative if the situation is otherwise.

The real thing remains – death. Now or later. Lets form a connection with God through His book so we can be ready with the meeting with Our Lord.

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 10, 2020 at 1:22 am

Thank you sherbano I like your answer 😊

• Sheharbano Ali

Member July 17, 2020 at 1:16 pm

Came across this while reading and thought of your question.

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 19, 2020 at 1:34 pm

JazakAllah. It says the age is written in a Book and cannot be more or less than that. It means “time” of death is already fixed?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 19, 2020 at 4:07 pm

It also states that without God’s knowledge life is neither increased nor decreased. In my opinion the more appropriate way to interpret this is that the time is not predestined – it is in the knowledge of God whenever it’s increased or decreased through a natural process. However, with certain other ayahs in the Quran, we also know that God is all powerful and intervenes in whatever He wills, according to His infinite wisdom. Hence He can override the time determined by the natural process at any time.

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 20, 2020 at 7:32 pm

In conclusion, we can all agree that death will come only when Allah chooses. If He wills to intervene and STOP it, He May very well can. The laws are for us, not for Him 🙏

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 20, 2020 at 8:20 am

Does it mean every event in our life is already fixed ? Including what choices we will make in our life ?

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 20, 2020 at 7:33 pm

God has given us free will based on which He will judge us. We can’t say whatever is happening in our life is because He wants it to happen 😊 this life is a test and we have free will. I was only asking that when does He intervene and the answer is that while we have free will it doesn’t mean that He does not intervene at all. He guides us, warns us, helps us, listens to us in mysterious ways.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 20, 2020 at 10:49 pm

If whatever is happening in our lives is not with God’s will, does it mean that God doesn’t have control over it ?

• Umer

Moderator July 21, 2020 at 1:17 am

GOD’s knowledge/ilm and control/izn is one thing, which is limitless; but at the same time GOD’s control/izn doesn’t let His knowledge/ilm influence our actions within limited sphere of our lives for which we will be judged for our actions.

Please see if this portrays our point to you.

Discussion 1473

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 20, 2020 at 8:49 am

No, it doesn’t mean that at all. Please see the response posted by Atif Sajid in the following discussion which sums it up very well.

Discussion 3300 • Reply 3371

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 20, 2020 at 8:53 am

I will read it, but my question was basically on the point of : if time/mode of our death is predetermined, at that time our state is also fixed, right ? Our state of being .. where we are, what is our condition etc. all that is pre-determined. Then it will mean some contradiction in our free will.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 20, 2020 at 9:02 am

I did not say that the time/mode of our death is predetermined.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 20, 2020 at 9:03 am

I was mainly replying to the comment by Beenish.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 16, 2020 at 9:13 am

God decides when we will die and he can change his decision when ever he wants. What we do is in his knowledge but he has given us free will

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register