Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Reciting Quran In Last Rakahs Of Salah

• Reciting Quran In Last Rakahs Of Salah

Posted by Muhammad on April 18, 2021 at 6:54 am

Asslam o Alikum

If we are praying farz namaz like Zohar/Asr/Maghrib & Isha.

In first two rakat we have to recite surah do we have to recite any surah in the last two rakat?

Or it’s just you recite Surah Fateha and go for rakoo? Means don’t need to recite any surah in last two?

This question is for both Jamat and individual both

Umer replied 2 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Reciting Quran In Last Rakahs Of Salah

Umer updated 2 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 19 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator April 18, 2021 at 7:34 am

Since last two rakahs (in case of four) and last one rakah (in case of three) are recited silently, therefore, every narration we find regarding these rakahs are based on a guess of narrator. And nothing explicit has been said by the Prophet Muhammad (sws) Himself. However, based on established Sunnah of loud Qirat of first two rakahs in congregational Salah, there is no valid reason to ignore recitation of Quran in the last rakahs of the Salah. But if someone chooses to opt not to recite Quran after Fateha, that is fine as well.

https://youtu.be/S7UZoJHaoq4

• Muhammad

Member April 18, 2021 at 10:58 am

Jazakallah Thanks for your answer

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm

But this is quite weird. It seems odd that the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم wouldn’t teach his companions what to do and leave it at a guess. Don’t we have ijma and tawatur that the last two rakahs in fard salah doesn’t have a portion if the Quran in it?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator June 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm

The ijma and tawatur about these rakahs is that they’re offered silently. Whether a person chooses to recite a portion of the Quran in these rakahs is left up to each person. I don’t see any reason to find this alarming, considering that recitations in a big portion of salat is left up to the discretion of the individuals.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 5, 2021 at 5:54 pm

So the parents when teaching their children salah (generational transfer or naql kaafah) didn’t teach them that they recite only the fatiha? Of course they did. They didn’t just let their children silently stand in the jamah letting them do whatever they wanted.

Also Ghamidi sahab says that worship rituals are not ijtihaad. So why should we do ijtihaad here? Someone could say the final two rakah in any salah is reserved for just dua like in janazah

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator June 5, 2021 at 5:59 pm

No reason to make any generalizations without any proper evidence.

Worship rituals themselves are not ijtihad, however, there are things in such rituals that are left up to individual discretion.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 5, 2021 at 6:01 pm

The proper evidence is today. How do people learn salah? Their parents or Quran teacher tells them exactly what to recite.

Leaving up to discretion is one thing like ‘read a dua’ or ‘read some Quran’ but saying that it’s silent implies you can do whatever you want.

I mean it’s the ijma of every sect as far as I know that they recite the fatiha and no Quran in fard salahs. Maybe I’m wrong

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 7, 2021 at 7:10 am

Any updates?

• Umer

Moderator October 7, 2021 at 7:18 am

Updates about?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 7, 2021 at 7:34 am

My last message and Saira’s one below

• Umer

Moderator October 7, 2021 at 7:37 am

The question is not clear. Its better if you post it as a separate question and elaborate it further.

• Saira Qureshi

Member June 7, 2021 at 1:17 am

I was also taught not to recite anything after Fatiha in last two rakah of fard salah. But I was never comfortable with it. Now after listening to Ghamidi sb I have started reciting Quran verses.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 10, 2021 at 4:01 am

This is Ijtihad of some Fuqaha to not to recited a portion of Quran in the thrid and fourth rakaat of Fard prayer, and it is not an agreed upon practice. What we are taught is of the opinion adopted in Hanafid and Maliki school, while the followers of Shafi’i recite a portion of Quran in all three or four rakaat, hence, there is not Ijama and Tawatur on reciting no Quran in the third and fourth rakaat.

One is justified to think that the thrid and fourth rakaat should be the same as the first two.

• Umer

Moderator November 2, 2021 at 7:18 am

For further comments of Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the video below from 33:25 to 34:40

https://youtu.be/AhtsALu32_k?t=2005

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 2, 2021 at 10:46 am

So on one hand we have the entire ummah reading the fatiha in the last two rakaat and the other hand Ghamidi sahab is saying there is no evidence that rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم commanded this? How is that possible? How does it not measure up to the requirements of tawatur and ijma?

• Umer

Moderator November 3, 2021 at 1:59 am

Where did you get that “we have the entire ummah reading the fatiha in the last two rakaat“?, because there’s no ijma of Muslims’ ‘ilm‘ in this regard. Irfan Sahab also pointed to this fact in his response above.

• Ali

Member February 17, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Salam not to confuse anyone but it appears Mufti Tariq believes that last two rakat are for duaas…..
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YFfjSHn8-0

Can it be just like we do duaa in sujood after tasbeeh, last rakat is do whatever you want(I mean duaa, or tasbeeh) and where Surah fatiha is a duaa to so it doesnt make a difference, I’ve checked another school of thought and they too believe fatiha in last 2 rakat isnt necessary, and instead tasbeeh can be done instead as well.

Is it possible “la salata li mallam yaqra bi fatiha til kitab” refers to reciting in atleast one rakat and not all. Just like when we say “Alhajju arafa” it means just arafat suffices as well if one couldnt do rest due to some reason? Yanee the narrations are saying those things “arafa” or “Fatiha” are absolutely necessary to have valid hajj, and valid namaz.

• Umer

Moderator February 18, 2022 at 6:28 am

It is not a matter that needs to be resolved through Ahadith (Akhbar-i-Ahad). Salah has been transmitted to us through ijma and tawatur, of which we know that in Rakahs where Quran is to be recited outloud, we are to recite both Fatiha and a portion of Quran after that, and no one goes against this practice, the whole ummah follows that. It is only the third and fourth Rakahs where no explicit guidance is available in this regard, to which one can have a difference of opinion based on their ijtihad (some can say that is it for Dua only and some can say it is for Fatiha only).

However, based on established Sunnah of loud Qirat of first two rakahs in congregational Salah, there is no valid reason to ignore recitation of Quran in the last rakahs of the Salah as per Ghamidi Sahab.

• Umer

Moderator February 17, 2022 at 4:20 am

For further comments of Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the video below from 38:27 to 39:51

https://youtu.be/F0ODAT9oHsY?t=2307

The discussion "Reciting Quran In Last Rakahs Of Salah" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now