Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Donkey Meat Halal Or Haram

• Donkey Meat Halal Or Haram

Posted by Rimsha on April 19, 2021 at 6:46 pm

Sir Javed Ghamidi replied in return of a question that is eating donkey meat halal and he said It depends on your choice and environment and i was shok there a clear Hadith that donkey meat is haram Please clarify Is this what he really mean.

https://youtu.be/ig6zyKeYXjY

Rimsha replied 3 years ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Donkey Meat Halal Or Haram

Rimsha updated 3 years ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member April 20, 2021 at 4:57 am

In my personal opinion, a donkey meets all the requirements of a halal animal for consumption similar to a horse. I would like to know what makes donkey meat haram. If there ia a Hadith, does it meet the standards of authenticity?

• Rimsha

Member April 20, 2021 at 5:09 am

Can you please give the explanation of Sir ghamidi about that hadith he said horse and donkey have been using for other working purposes thats why we are not really fond of eating them but Camel has been used for traveling and working in arab at that time too but we eat camel as well

• Nadeem Minhas

Member April 20, 2021 at 5:16 am

I saw one of his video and to me he is not directly calling horse or donkey haram, but a little funny to eat donkey meat. If the working animal makes them haram, then yes, camel, bull and even cows should be haram too as they are used for work in many cultures.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member April 20, 2021 at 5:23 am

I just saw this video, Isn’t he clearly stating that donkey, horse are halal and animals that are exclusively herbavorous are halal. So I assume, an elephant or giraffe will be halal too.

• Rimsha

Member April 20, 2021 at 5:20 am

No he didn’t said they are haram because we are using them for work he said we use them for work that’s why we don’t want to eat them but i want clarification about that hadith which says donkey meat is haram but Sir ghamidi said donkey meat is not haram

• Nadeem Minhas

Member April 20, 2021 at 5:26 am

Yes, I agree with you. I would like to know about the hadith too.

• Ahsan

Moderator April 20, 2021 at 7:39 am

First of all, understand that Hadith is not an independent source of Islam. It is complimentary.

Since, donkey donot fall in any forbidden category prescribed by Quran. It cannot be forbidden as per Quran. Hadoth may clarify some aspects of Quran directives.

When you look other hadith regarding this matter, you will find that Prophet Mohammad saw has forbid domisticated donkeys while wild donkeys were permitted. Eg, check hadith here

https://sunnah.com/nasai:4343

https://sunnah.com/bukhari:5407

Note: onager is wild donkey

• majid latif awan

Member April 20, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Ghamidi saab was on his lightest of mood it seems on the day 😂😂

• Umer

Moderator April 20, 2021 at 2:38 pm

As far as Dietary prohibitions are concerned, it works on the principle of Taiyyabaat and Khabaais (Quran 7:157 and 2:172-173) . And In another place, Quran has cleared Taiyyabaat with word ‘Bahimatul-Anam’ (Quran 5:1, 22:34 and 22:28), meaning the cattle specie, which makes the differentiation more clear i.e. it is the ‘Beastly (Darindagi)‘ and ‘Non-Beastly‘ nature which are the most distinguishing factors. Then there are animals in between this category which could be predatory but not actually beastly in nature, which could put them in the grey area. There is also a category which is neither predatory nor beastly in nature like horse, donkey etc. but also falls in the same grey area. This is the Mushtabihaat category.

Neither is there any list presented by religion nor should we try to make one. If my fitrat tells me that something is not appropriate to eat and I decide to eat it any way then I’ll be held accountable, but if I genuinely think that some animal belongs to taiyyab category and I eat that animal then I will not be held accountable. Most of the times our fitrat guides us correctly in terms of what to eat and what not. Exceptions will always be there and as long as human race exists, there will always be differences in application of certain principles (not in the principles, but in their application).

As long as Ahadith related to Donkey Eating are concerned, when we collect all the turks, we come to realization that famous narration of Khaibar was not about hurmat or hillat of Donkey Meat, rather, it was about consumption of ‘Maal-e-Ghanimat’ before official distribution (Please See: https://sunnah.com/bukhari:4220, AND https://sunnah.com/bukhari:4215).

Camel is more closer to cattle because of both the milk and its meat, and in addition, it is also used for travel purposes which is not the case for Horse and Donkey.

Please refer to the following videos where all the discussions and insights have been gathered here. They will help you greatly in grasping this concept in much detail.

Please refer to the video below from 1:53:24 to 2:01:53

• Umer

Moderator April 20, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 43:28 to 45:15

• Umer

Moderator April 20, 2021 at 2:39 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 43:53 till the end

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 1:34:34 to 1:38:22

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 28:20 to 54:04

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 1:14:53 to 1:16:23

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 1:13:10 to 1:17:21

• Rimsha

Member April 20, 2021 at 7:05 pm

Thank you so much for your effort you shared clear answer.

The discussion "Donkey Meat Halal Or Haram" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now