Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Women’s Fasting During Periods

Tagged: , ,

• Women’s Fasting During Periods

Posted by Ayesha Iqbal on April 24, 2021 at 9:43 am

There was a recent discussion on women’s fasting during periods. Key point was that “soum” was a well known tradition and part of sunnat. The Quran deals with exceptions but does not raise the point on women as “taharat” is the pre-condition. I understand that Islam either corrected incorrect practices or provided new rules on Sunnat. My question is that Jewish and Christians women around me seem to fast irrespective of periods. The Jewish women have more strict view on women and men interaction and not just intercourse during periods. Why is that ?

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Women’s Fasting During Periods

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 30, 2021 at 10:02 pm

I understand that Islam either corrected incorrect practices or provided new rules on Sunnat.

This is true.

The Quran deals with exceptions but does not raise the point on women as “taharat” is the pre-condition.

Quran is not the only source of religion. Prophet Muhammad SAW gave us deen through Quran as well as Sunnah, both of which have been conclusively transmitted to us through ijma and tawatur. We know from ijma and tawatur that purity is required for fasting. When Quran mentions exceptions for fasting, they are in addition to previously established requirement of purity. Jewish or Christian practice is not a source of deen for us. We can only refer to them in light of Quran and Sunnah.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register