Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Meaning Of Astaghfar

Tagged: , ,

• Meaning Of Astaghfar

Posted by Shehar Bano on May 5, 2021 at 4:23 am

In the Quran, we have been repeatedly asked to seek Allah’s forgiveness (Astaghfar) for example 3:16 (who pray, “Our Lord! We have believed, so forgive our sins and protect us from the torment of the Fire.”) I understand that when we commit a sin we should seek Allah’s forgiveness and abstain from the sin in the future. But why are we supposed to constantly seek Allah’s forgiveness? This makes me feel demoralised, inadequate, guilty, and in a state of constant sin. However, I am sure I am missing something here because according to Islam all human are born with a Muslim nature (fitrat), unlike the doctrine of the original sin which suggests that we are born sinners. Can you please let me know what is the right attitude / motivation in Islam for doing Astaghfar frequently?

Shehar Bano replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Meaning Of Astaghfar

Shehar Bano updated 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator May 5, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Astaghfar shouldn’t be seen from the perspective of sinning only, but rather from the perspective of the person initiating it. It is an expression of association of a Muslim with the Almighty and also serves as an expression of faith for us that we will be facing Almighty one day. It also helps one in achieving humbleness and humility, both towards God and to people in general.

Please also refer to the link below from 27:21 to 28:09

ilm-o-Hikmat 08-05-2016

• Shehar Bano

Member May 6, 2021 at 6:20 am

Jizakallah.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register