Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Evidence Of Ushar (zakaat) On Produce Other Than Agricultural

Tagged: 

• Evidence Of Ushar (zakaat) On Produce Other Than Agricultural

Posted by Saqib Ali on May 5, 2021 at 2:10 pm

Assalam O Alaikum,

Since forms of production other than agriculture must have existed in the Prophet’s time as well so is there any evidence available from the era of our Holy Prophet or the righteous Caliphs of Ushar (zakaat) being collected on produce other than agriculture outcome?

Regards,

Shahla Anbreen replied 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Evidence Of Ushar (zakaat) On Produce Other Than Agricultural

Shahla Anbreen updated 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator May 5, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Can you please elaborate further which forms of production other than agriculture existed at that time? As per my understanding, Agriculture was the only form of production at that time. Association of that Production with modern day Industrial production and other forms of production (i.e. salaries etc.) is based on ‘ijtihadi itlaq’.

• Saqib Ali

Member May 6, 2021 at 2:08 am

In terms of production textile, pottery and metal works existed. There must also be examples of waged labor like medical practitioner (hakeem), mason and barber. Can we find evidence of Ushar collected on their earnings?

• Umer

Moderator May 6, 2021 at 2:27 pm

I think even if existed, those activities were not as evolved and as industrialized as they are today. And most probably, they would not meet Nisab Threshold for their earnings as well. Although, I will request Hassan Sahab to shed light on this matter as well.

• Saqib Ali

Member May 6, 2021 at 2:44 pm

JAZAKALLAH that would be a favor.

Waiting,

• Shahla Anbreen

Member May 6, 2021 at 8:47 pm

Yes Umer please put up this question because there must be forms of salaries eg the government services or people appointed bu governments for different tasks in times right after Prophet’s time as the state of Madina expanded very quickly.

Another query which I have posted in another forum also is that if nisab on salary should be measured for each individual salary or on yearly income? My understanding is that it has to be measured each time we get salary.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register