Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Father Or Grandfather?

• Father Or Grandfather?

Posted by Javed Ahmad on May 5, 2021 at 6:29 pm

I love them both but there are times when I’m ordered by both on certain occeasions differently and I need to choose who to obey.

E.g. In a situation where my father asks me to marry the girl X and my grandfather wants me to marry the girl Y.

Who should I obey?

Many times, their approach to life is against each other, who’s hukm is a binding to me on simple life matters (not related to religion).

Umer replied 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Father Or Grandfather?

Umer updated 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator May 6, 2021 at 10:49 am

Its a family matter. its better to communicate each of them politely. If you have any preference tell them. I hope they can understand.

On light note, I think you should create 3rd option. Find yourself.

• Javed Ahmad

Member May 6, 2021 at 10:53 am

But who does the religion prioritise? Who am I obligated to? In general? Who’s instructions do I follow?

• Ahsan

Moderator May 6, 2021 at 10:59 am

In my opinion father should take precedence. Howver, Islam require us to be respectful and dutiful to grandfathers

• Umer

Moderator May 6, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Quran has not asked us to obey every command of parents, instead, we are required to deal with them in a good manner (husn e salook) and can disagree with their decisions in a polite and respectful manner. Marriage is solely the decision of man and woman who choose to tie the knot and is not affected by what parents demand. For further details, please refer to the following two videos:

Please refer from 42:53 to 45:46

• Umer

Moderator May 6, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Please also refer from 29:10 to 31:42

The discussion "Father Or Grandfather?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now