Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Hadith Regarding Paradise And Hell Based On Isolated Actions

• Hadith Regarding Paradise And Hell Based On Isolated Actions

Posted by Shehar Bano on May 7, 2021 at 2:40 am

Every now and then I come across Hadith that talk about admission to heaven or hell based on isolated actions, please see examples below:

Sahl bin Sa’ad – may Allah be pleased with him – said the Prophet – may the peace and salutations of Allah be upon him – said: “There is a gate Paradise called ar-Raiyan. Those who observe fasts will enter through it on the Day of Resurrection and none except them will enter through it. It will be said, ‘Where are those who used to observe fasts?’ They will get up, and none except them will enter through it. After their entry the gate will be closed and nobody will enter through it”.

[Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Anas b. Malik said: I was sitting with Ibn Ahbas when he gave religious verdicts but he did not say that it was Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) who had said that. However when a man said to him (Ibn ‘Abbas) : I am the painter of these pictures. Ibn ‘Abbas said: I heard Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: He who painted pictures in the world would be compelled to breathe soul in them on the Day of Resurrection, but he would not be able to breathe soul (in them).

[Muslim Book 24, Number 5273]

Abd al-Rahman reported on the authority of his mother’s sister Umm Salama who said that Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: He who drank in vessels of gold or silver he in fact drank down in his belly the fire of Hell.

[Muslim Book 24, Number 5128:]

As far as I am aware Islam teaches us to lead our life in a certain manner which comprises of an entire ‘package’ of worship and practices, based on which we will be assessed on the day of Judgement. So I do not understand how to interpret such Hadith that talk about entry to Heaven or Hell based on isolated actions, especially those regarding hell since the actions (e.g. painting pictures of living things, drinking from silver or gold vessel) are not among the major or even minor sins mentioned in the Quran.

Umer replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Hadith Regarding Paradise And Hell Based On Isolated Actions

Umer updated 2 years ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator May 7, 2021 at 2:58 pm

Hadith Corpus do not give us principles, they are always application of principles given in Quran and Sunnah. The trouble arises when we take these matters of application and start extracting principles from them. All these ahadith have a basis in Quran and Sunnah, but it requires a little deliberation to appropriately determine their relationship with primary sources of religion, namely Quran and Sunnah. For instance, regarding paintings, it has been well established now after reviewing all related ahadith, that they relate to polytheistic paintings, similarly use of gold and silver vessels, if used to showcase one’s wealth as a sign of arrogance, would lead one to Hell.

To understand this principle further, please refer to the video below from 42:31 to 45:42

https://youtu.be/0SdQtg5eVvA?t=2551

• Shehar Bano

Member May 8, 2021 at 2:55 am

Jizakallah that’s very helpful

• Umer

Moderator April 1, 2022 at 5:34 am

Please also refer to the vidoe below from 41:58 to 42:53

https://youtu.be/YZbZexPa1wo?t=2518

The discussion "Hadith Regarding Paradise And Hell Based On Isolated Actions" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now