Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Atheism Or Shirk

• Atheism Or Shirk

Posted by Sheharbano Ali on July 9, 2020 at 4:01 pm

I have two parts to my question.

a) Could it be that Quran does not address atheism seperately because atheism=shirk?

b) How would we define shirk? Based on Maulana Amin Ahsan Islahi’s book “Shirk o Tauheed”, would it be correct to say that purifying one’s self from the disease of shirk is an ongoing effort by an individual? At places in the Quran like Surah Kahf, v.32-46 where God narrates the parable of two men and the garden. Would the sin of the man who disbelieved fall into the category of shirk? If yes, isn’t that the shirk of an insolent mind, the category under which most of us fall today?

Abdul Rehman replied 3 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Kamran Mirza

Member July 10, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I have a similar question. Since shirk is vehemently condemned in the Quran and also through the advent of the prophets, we don’t see atheism or agnosticism being condemned with the same rebuke. Is it lesser of the two?

• Sheharbano Ali

Member July 11, 2020 at 10:35 am

According to my humble understanding, anything other than believing in God would either be نفس پرستی or مادہ پرستی which is Shirk anyway?

• Kamran Mirza

Member July 11, 2020 at 10:41 am

Yes, that makes sense

• Umer

Moderator July 11, 2020 at 11:02 am

I think it would be unfair to say that Quran doesn’t address atheism, agnosticism & similar way of thinking . The more appropriate statement would be that Quran has vehemently condemned Shirk and has given arguments to counter an atheist mind and to help an agnostic mind in it’s search for the truth. A significant portion of Quran contains arguments ranging from intuitive, intellectual and historical domains. And then there is empirical evidence in the form of results of ittemam-e-hujjat that happened in the land of Arab. I think it’s only fair that a thinking mind or questioning mind should not be condemned vehemently, rather it should be given arguments to use it’s thinking faculty in order to reach an educated conclusion. On the other hand, Shirk should be condemned vehemently as there is no philosophical basis for shirk.

As far as Surah kahf verses 32-46 are concerned, I think yes, it does fall in a category of Shirk. There is a kind of Shirk where you associate someone else a partner in attributes and creation of God. & sometimes a person can fall into a delusion where he considers himself God. A person can be blinded by success, fame and too much affluence where he starts associating everything solely with his efforts and with every success, his pride and arrogance goes one step further. This, I think is a more dangerous form of Shirk because a person gets so intoxicated with the world around him at times and he thinks that this whole world revolves around him only; a time when all Dawah is useless on him, all reminders of the truth prove futile. I personally have seen such people and their mental state is no different than Pharaoh as mentioned in Quran. May Allah save us from such delusions and from the intoxication of this worldly venom. Ameen! But, in my opinion, it would be unfair to class everyone in today’s life in this category. Those who pray five times a day, are constantly reminded of the truth and it helps them to not let this blind of worldly successes & fame fall before their eyes. If there’s venom, then God has prescribed it’s antidote as well.

Since I haven’t read Islahi Sahab’s book which you mentioned, so I can’t comment on that. But I can say one thing, according to me, self-accountability is definitely a continuous process, and everyday should be an attempt to be a better person and a better Muslim than the previous day.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member July 11, 2020 at 4:57 pm

I fully concur! You excel in the art of tying things together and beautifully explaining them.

As for the second part; Can we then conclude that this life is all about “Recognition of the Creator” (معرفت رب). To know about Him and in the process, constantly purify and polish one’s inner self. Then as you mentioned and in the words of Amin Ahsan Islahi sb “this is an exercise in one’s spiritual journey – a path that every seeker of the truth treads and this journey of increase in faith continues right up to his death. In this journey, although each day makes a person even more firmer in faith, so much so that each day is so bright than the previous, that the previous day appears to be dark in relation to it.” ( tadabur I quran vol 1, 601).

• Umer

Moderator July 12, 2020 at 12:56 am

Thank you for your kind words.

I don’t find any reason to disagree with “Recognition of the Creator” (معرفت رب) terminology. It’s actually a very nice sum up of the whole journey.

• Abdul Rehman

Member December 26, 2020 at 1:31 pm

Watch this WHY PEOPLE BECOME ATHEISTS BY GHAMIDI

https://youtu.be/sB6a9YsK1YY

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register