A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Finger In Tashahud And Tawatur

Tagged: , ,

• Finger In Tashahud And Tawatur

Fahad Iqbal updated 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 18 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator May 15, 2021 at 6:35 pm

This is just an optional act of Prophet’s Uswa (sws) of which no one knows the true reason and timing of this act and I don’t think anyone considers it an obligatory act:

https://youtu.be/26xOEpeuduM

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 16, 2021 at 7:17 am

Why don’t we know the true reason? Isn’t that a very big problem that we just have an empty ritual?

• Umer

Moderator May 16, 2021 at 10:44 am

True reason behind particular structure of any Ibadah ritual cannot be known with certainty. It is something prescribed by God as He deems fit and only He can do this. The only difference is that some have been made obligatory and transmitted as Sunnat e Sabita (through ijma and tawatur) and others have been optional and are extracted from akhbar-i-ahad.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 17, 2021 at 8:40 pm

We can see clearly the purposes of eg ruku and sajdah and wudu. They are for submission respect and purity. But for finger in tashahud there’s nothing it seems

• Umer

Moderator May 18, 2021 at 6:19 pm

The same can be said for raising of index finger (‘ingusht-e-shahdat’) which symbolizes the act of giving shahdah through finger. But the point being that the structure of rituals like one ruku, two sujood, number of rakats, the way to perform wuzu etc. etc. in those specific ways have no basis for a human mind whatsoever. Therefore, ‘tabbudi amoor’ (matters of ibadah) cannot be comprehended and enumerated by a human mind unless told by the God himself. Later, once we know the acts, we can come up with rational and logical explanation for such acts.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 18, 2021 at 6:20 pm

Sure we don’t know the exacts but we can hint at the basic details. How is moving the finger whilst sitting the same as raising the right hand for an oath? No one raises their finger for an oath, they raise their right hand or put it on their chest

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 18, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Peace.

Its like raising a finger in your classroom to talk. Personally identifying and witnessing. Tashahud is a Prayer of Witness and Testifying before God. Other than that Tashahud may also mean pointing towards the Qibla. Finger pointing towards the direction of Kaaba. God Knows best.

God Bless,

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 18, 2021 at 11:22 pm

You raise your finger in class to get attention not to swear an oath. Also some people raise their hand. What would pointing to the qiblah signify?

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 12:19 am

The index finger of the worshiper’s right hand is raised to emphasize God’s uniqueness during Tashahhud.

Reference: http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com/article/opr/t125/e2348

Significance and concept of Tashahhud: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tashahhud

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 19, 2021 at 12:45 am

Again the finger is not raised and a one is not shown. It is slightly bent and moving according to some traditions. So it can’t be this

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 12:59 am

Bro even if you bent it a little still you need to raise your finger first albeit slightly. this tilt of a SINGLE finger which is the index finger does signify something. Otherwise we might as well raise the whole hand or all fingers. 😀

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 19, 2021 at 1:00 am

Exactly and I don’t think it signifies pointing to the qiblah or signifying one God because that just seems very far fetched and stretching it at this point

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 1:16 am

Bro on what grounds its far fetched? Why ? 😀 Without any reason? 😀 I have provided references and all. Its not at all my personal opinion but rather the opinion of Religious scholars. 😀

Peace Out 😀

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 19, 2021 at 1:17 am

The opinion of religious scholars can also be far fetched. Simply raising a finger a tiny bit and moving it does not count as affirming the oneness of good. That sounds frankly silly

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 1:30 am

OMG WHAT? 😀 What is Silly? 😀 You are too Funny bro 😀 What do you Recite in Tashahudd? Dont you Testify the Oneness/Uniqueness of Allah while reciting Kalima shahadat when you bend your index finger..? Bro You Need to First understand the concept of Tashahud. Than you will grasp the act of raising index finger in it 😀

Peace Out 😀

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 19, 2021 at 1:31 am

Many sects move the finger all throughout the tashahud when things completely unrelated to the oneness of God are being talked about. That is the point

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 3:25 am

Ahmad My Little Bro 😀 This discussion has been dragged on for far too long. If you want we can discuss it privately on WhatsApp. Private Message me and i will contact you. JazakAllah for your Time.

Peace Out 😀

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 20, 2021 at 1:56 am

Salam Ahmad Bro.

I have Replied to you on WhatsApp.

JazakAllah

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register