Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Referring To God As Allah Miyan

Tagged: , ,

• Referring To God As Allah Miyan

Posted by Sameer Ahmed on May 11, 2021 at 7:32 am

Assalamu alaika. I have seen in majority Pakistani Drama and by some ulema as well addressing Allah SWT as “Allah Miya”. Is it permissible to address Almighty Allah as “Miya” ? Because miya is used for human being just like in other culture such as “Mr”, “Shri”, “Shriman”, “Kumar” etc are used for respect. If Saying “Allah Miya” is ok and not Kufr then why not “Mr.Allah” ? And if not then why Ulema and scholars don’t guide in this regard. Jazakallah Khair!

Faisal Haroon replied 2 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Referring To God As Allah Miyan

• Ahsan

Moderator May 11, 2021 at 7:59 am

میاں means owner, king too. Intrinsically there is no problem in it.
    If I loosely translate, Allah Miyan it will mean the Allah the ruler.

• Sameer Ahmed

Member May 11, 2021 at 8:06 am

But when we use any word it’s meaning will be understood by the current background. Normally we use “Miya” as out of respect and with same meaning as we use Mr in English. When we use with person’s name, we don’t actually mean to refer him as owner or ruler. I personally think Calling Allah as miya doesn’t fit well.

• Ahsan

Moderator May 11, 2021 at 8:13 am

When you used Allah miya, no one understand that its being used for humans or making Allah human.
    May be @Irfan76 sb , @faisalharoon sb or @UmerQureshi sb can throw some light on this matter.

• Sameer Ahmed

Member May 11, 2021 at 8:17 am

Will be glad if they guide on this matter.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 11, 2021 at 11:19 am

In the Quran, Allah tells that all good names are His, call Him with any good name.

So, any name which a people find good to name Allah, is fine. So much so, the name “Allah” is too given by the Arab to God and Allah adopted it in the Quran.

It is not the just an individual, but the people collectively adopt a word for that use and other just follow as they follow other words for other use in a language.

• Sameer Ahmed

Member May 11, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Thanks sir but I’m not talking about the name “Allah” itself but adding “Miya” with the name Allah. Thank you!

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 11, 2021 at 12:37 pm

A lot times language works counter to logic. A word doesn’t have any intrinsic meaning – it’s the concept that it refers to that gives it it’s meaning. When people use the expression Allah Miyan, they’re referring to the one Creator. This is not shirk or kufr.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register