Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Khimar And Head Scarf

Tagged: , , ,

• Khimar And Head Scarf

Posted by Muhammad Saim Siddiqui on May 19, 2021 at 3:52 am

Allah used the word Khimar in Surah Nurr to order women to hide their chests with it. According to my research, during old times, Khimar was used as Head Scarf by both men and women. Khimar was a piece of clothing which men and women used to put over their head and throw it on their backs. This tend to hide their hair also.
    Now allah is saying to draw their khimar over their chest. Implying the same way it is used, this way when chest is covered, the head hair would also be hidden.
    I have seen the Ghamidi Sahib Response to 23 Questions(all videos on pardah topic) and I came to the conclusion that he is not of the view point that hair should be hidden for women.
    Could anyone please explain how does he understand this commandment of allah and correct me if I am wrong.

Umer replied 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Khimar And Head Scarf

Umer updated 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 4:17 am

Peace.

First can you Please provide the references for your research on the Arabic word “Khimar”. That would be much appreciated. I want to read that research for educational purposes. JazakAllah. 🙂

Ghamidi Sab’s view on Surah Nur; Ch:24, Verse:31:-

وَ لۡیَضۡرِبۡنَ بِخُمُرِہِنَّ عَلٰی جُیُوۡبِہِنَّ

Urdu Translation:-

اور اِس کے لیے اپنی اوڑھنیوں کے آنچل اپنے گریبانوں پر ڈالے رہیں۔

Urdu Commentary:-

یہ مقصد اگر دوپٹے کے سوا کسی اور طریقے سے حاصل ہو جائے تو اِس میں بھی مضایقہ نہیں ہے۔ مدعا یہی ہے کہ عورتوں نے زینت کی ہو تو اُنھیں اپنا سینہ اور گریبان مردوں کے سامنے کھولنا نہیں چاہیے، بلکہ اِس طرح ڈھانپ کر رکھنا چاہیے کہ اُس کی زینت کسی پہلو سے نمایاں نہ ہونے پائے۔

Reference: https://www.javedahmedghamidi.org/#!/quran?chapter=24&paragraph=16&type=Ghamidi

Book: Al-Bayan

God Bless.

• Umer

Moderator May 19, 2021 at 6:17 pm

For response by Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the video below from 1:51:34 to 1:57:46

https://youtu.be/RUAbhOt7g5k?t=6694

• Gumiho Ki

Member May 30, 2021 at 11:38 am

Salam Umer.Can you explain what Sir JG. Is saying during this part of the video?

• Umer

Moderator May 31, 2021 at 8:11 pm

Firstly Ghamidi Sahab reiterated the directives on norms of Gender Interaction as mentioned in Quran, Surah Nur.

Secondly, the additional requirement for women to hide items of ‘Zeenat’ including the ones on chest area with the exception of hands, face and feet. The word ‘Zeenat’ in classic Arabic is never used in terms of beauty, rather it refers to anything used to complement the beauty like jewelry etc.

Thirdly, the women of that time used to cover their heads with ‘khimar’ as a headgear, it was part of their culture, but when Allah wanted to give them directive to cover their zeenat, they were asked to use the same ‘khimar’ to cover their chest area. This requirement doesn’t make use of ‘Khimar’ as a headgear a separate directive. Had it been the case, it would’ve been separately mentioned. Already available clothing was being made use of to give directive to cover ‘zeenat’ for women.

• Muhammad Saim Siddiqui

Member May 20, 2021 at 2:58 am

Brother Fahad,
    I am attaching the links below. These are the links that I was able to find after your message. These aren’t enough but I believe they will take the message across
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTK-TcsxY4k&list=PLJEtdxebQlPQpc_frbaPjl3oiV9b3W3XZ&index=8&t=1768s
    http://www.muhajabah.com/khimar.htm.
    As far I as I remember, I believe Dr. Yasir Qadhi is also of the same viewpoint about Khimar as I mentioned above.

Brother Umer,
    Thankyou for sharing the link. I have understood what Ghamidi Sahib said. Thankyou.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register