Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums World Religions Sabbath & Friday

Tagged: ,

• Sabbath & Friday

Posted by Kifayat Ramzan on May 22, 2021 at 11:24 pm

In the Tafseer of Surah Nisa (Ayat 154) Ghamidi sb has claimed that Bani Israel were actually asked to observe Friday which they changed with next day. As the ruling was given in Torah itself, I was wondering who dared to change it in presence of Musa (as).

Though there are ahadith which mention that Friday was given to Jews & Christians before Muslims but they didn’t take it but what is the Quranic proof to change Mutawatir meaning of Sabbath from Saturday to Friday?

Fahad Iqbal replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Sabbath & Friday

Fahad Iqbal updated 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Fahad Iqbal

Member May 23, 2021 at 1:13 am

Nowhere in the Bible, either the Jewish Bible or the Christian Bible, is Saturday ever mentioned as Day of Sabbath. In Torah, the Ruling is specific for Sabbath as the day of Rest/Congregation & not Saturday. The Word Saturday is not found anywhere in the Bible.

Quran : “O YOU who have attained to faith! When the call to prayer is sounded on the day of

Friday, hasten to the remembrance of God, and leave all worldly commerce: this is for

your own good, if you but knew it.”

Surah Al Jumuah, Ch:62, Verse:9

How is Saturday as Meaning of Sabbath a Mutawatir Report? Evidence?

• Kifayat Ramzan

Member May 23, 2021 at 1:23 am

We use “يوم السبت” to mean Saturday in everyday life just like we use “يوم الجمعة” to mean friday. There is no reason to believe it wasn’t carrying same meaning in past.

How do we prove a particular meaning is not mutawatir meaning? By pinpointing the time from which the meaning changed. Can you prove it?

The burden of proof lies on one who claims that the word wasn’t carrying same meaning in the past.

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 23, 2021 at 4:13 am

I stand corrected. Saturday does refer to السبت. My Apology for this mistake. However nowhere in the Quran or Hadith Itself is it ever mentioned that Bani Israeel changed their Day of Congregation from Friday to Saturday. Also in the Hadith its mentioned that all the three days, Fri, Sat & Sun are days of Prayers for each Ummat respectively. If there exists such a hadith plz do enlighten me. I Respectfully disagree with eminent scholar Ghamidi Sab. However i dont know what are his references for providing such a conclusion about Bani Israeel.

Quran 4:154:-

and We raised the Mount high above them and took from them a covenant (to obey the commandment), and ordered them: ‘Enter the gate in the state of prostration.’ And We said to them: ‘Do not violate the law of the Sabbath’, and took from them a firm covenant.

Hadith:

It was Friday from which Allah diverted those who were before us. For the Jews (the day set aside for prayer) was Sabt (Saturday), and for the Christians it was Sunday. And Allah turned towards us and guided us to Friday (as the day of prayer) for us. In fact, He (Allah) made Friday, Saturday and Sunday (as days of prayer). In this order would they (Jews and Christians) come after us on the Day of Resurrection. We are the last of (the Ummahs) among the people in this world and the first among the created to be judged on the Day of Resurrection. In one narration it is: ‘, to be judged among them”.

Reference : Sahih Muslim 856a In-book reference : Book 7, Hadith 32

Following is the Urdu Commentary of Ghamidi sab of Quran 4:154:-

یہ اصلاً جمعہ کا دن تھا جسے بنی اسرائیل نے اُس کے اگلے دن سے بدل ڈالا۔ اُن کے ہاں یہ دن پشت در پشت تک دائمی عہد کے نشان کے طور پر خدا کی عبادت کے لیے خاص تھا اور اِس میں اُن کے لیے کام کاج، سیروشکار، حتیٰ کہ گھروں میں آگ جلانا اور لونڈی غلاموں سے کوئی خدمت لینا بھی ممنوع قرار دیا گیا تھا۔ اُن کی ایک بستی کے لوگوں نے اِس دن کی پابندیوں سے اپنے آپ کو آزاد کرنے کے لیے جو شرعی حیلے ایجاد کیے اور اِس طرح اللہ کی شریعت کا مذاق اڑایا، یہ اُسی کا ذکر ہے۔

Peace Out!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register