Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Torture And Punishment In The Afterlife

• Torture And Punishment In The Afterlife

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 23, 2021 at 8:54 am

How about for people like Adolf Hitler? If there is no concept of Hell than how can people be warned from consequences of their actions? Is there any incentive for people to turn away from evil if there is no belief in hell? How can justice be fulfilled for people who could not get justice in this world?

• Douglas

Member May 23, 2021 at 10:18 am

Thank you for your response Fahad.

We both agree that Hitler was a deplorable human who perpetrated countless of acts of evil, but torturing him won’t erase the harm he did in his life, and it probably won’t show him the error of his ways either. It would be better for him to be educated by god and his angels in the afterlife instead of tortured.

If there is no hell, people can still understand that their actions have consequences. You don’t have to believe in hell to realize that some actions hurt other people and should be avoided. And there are more reasons to be good than out of fear of punishment. Doing the right thing is obvious for anyone who thinks about it, even for people who don’t believe in god or hell. Thus, god doesn’t need to, and shouldn’t, threaten people into being good.

I choose to turn away from evil even though I don’t believe that I’ll be rewarded for good deeds or that I’ll be punished for bad ones. Doing the right thing is its own reward, and the threat of hell is unnescessary to make people good. It’s unnescessary in my case at least.

I believe that justice is when one tries to solve a problem or conflict between people in such a way that maximizes prosperity for as many people as possible while minimizing the suffering of as many people as possible as well. To me, torturing hitler wouldn’t be an example of justice because it doesn’t solve any of the problems he made, nor does it improve him as a person, nor does it help the people he hurt. All it does is inflict unnescessary pain on an evil human. So me, justice involves thinking of ways to help an evildoer realize their mistakes in a humane manner, while also compensating the victims for the harm they suffered. And while god will compensate the victims, hell is not humane or a good method of teaching. It is only vindictive.

I hope nothing I’ve written here will offend anyone. And I’m not saying this to be unnescessarily combative either. But I have to present my questions as arguments for them to be properly voiced.

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 23, 2021 at 11:07 am

If the concept of Crime and Punishment is Morally Unjust than Why would Countries all over the world punish the criminals in their states? Is the Entire judicial System Inhumane? Is there no need For Police & Law Enforcement? Is there no Need of Prisons? Are the punishments of Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment, Solitary Confinement Vindictive? Does Electrocution(death through Electric current) amounts to torture or not?

What is the guarantee that if a convicted Terrorist or Rapist is released in society(Without Punishment by State), he wont Kill/Rape anyone again( after undergoing psychological treatment, education & awareness of his actions)? Doesn’t this relax attitude gives incentive for future wannabe criminals? Seeing zero consequences for their actions wont they take it as an encouraging sign and license to kill more and spread corruption? Wont this lax attitude spread anarchy and rebelliousness rather than peace and stability in the society?

Isn’t a Human Being naturally capable of causing suffering to others? Is there a Free Will or Not or are we programmable robots? Does the human being use his freewill to commit crime and evil? Should the Criminals be given freedom or enslavement in prisons?

If The World Justifies its Judicial Laws/Punishments as Morally Right/Justifiable/Good for Society than Why would Religious Punishments be Morally unacceptable in Afterlife? Isn’t it Illogical?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
  • Altamash Ali

Member May 23, 2021 at 11:58 am

Do you think end of Bad and Good people will be same?? do you not Reason?

THE ABOVE QUESTION IS ASKED MANY TIMES IN QURAN…

and,

“I will turn away from My signs those who act unjustly with arrogance in the land. And even if they were to see every sign, they still would not believe in them. If they see the Right Path, they will not take it. But if they see a crooked path, they will follow it. This is because they denied Our signs and were heedless of them.”

-Quran 7:146

AND

“Indeed, We have destined many jinn and humans for Hell. They have hearts they do not understand with, eyes they do not see with, and ears they do not hear with. They are like cattle. In fact, they are even less guided! Such ˹people˺ are ˹entirely˺ heedless.”

-Quran 7:179

And

Narrated Anas:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Whoever said “None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of a barley grain will be taken out of Hell. And whoever said: “None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of a wheat grain will be taken out of Hell. And whoever said, “None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of an atom will be taken out of Hell.”

-Sahih al-Bukhari : 44

denying a god means world is God.. denying a creator means I CAN CREATE MYSELF

denying a judge means I CAN JUDGE MYSELF, with limited knowledge and knowledge till now suggests Humanity is fairy tale & evolution Actually happened hence FITTEST WILL SURVIVE & there can only be one guy on top of pyramid.

“And whoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed – then it is those who are the disbelievers.”

-Quran 5:44

U said a person cannot be good if he is tortured..

but u know God knows matters of heart, and this eternal punishment will only be given to those who closed reasoning.

and Denying God is ultimate injustice with instinct we born with. No kid learn about God but everyone know we belong to him and to him we will return.

• اشهل صادق

Member May 23, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Peace!

If I may share my two cents. I hope I can be of some help.

First of all, Islamic scholars have debated this as well and the thing to note is that the concept of Heaven and Hell are from the matters whose reality we do not know (امور متشابهات). What we can say is that God has threatened with Hell but has not promised it, unlike His promise of Paradise. If He wills, He will carry out the threat. If He doesn’t, then, verily He is the Ever Merciful. Secondly, what I have felt is that, in a way, the concept of Hell is a blessing in disguise. What you say about doing good for the sake of it being good, we can agree on. But won’t you also agree that we as humans are weak in our endeavors? I believe one of the purposes of Hell is to motivate believers into refraining from wrongdoing, realizing that both promise of good and threats against evil will prove helpful in instances of weakness that we, on our time on Earth, are sure to face. Challenging mankind without these two aids would be too big a burden, perhaps, for most. Additionally, what I would say is that mankind, I have felt, are quick to grow casual about matters which do not have any special significance attached to them (like reward or punishment). So, I would conclude that what we know about Hell so far (what we are sure of, that is), is that it is acts as a blessing. When it is supposed to become a curse, we will be present before our Lord and may be able to humbly ask Him the questions of morality it raises. What do you say?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register