Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions What Does It Mean To Be A Sunni (Meaning Of Term Ahl-e-sunnat Wal Jamat)?

Tagged: , ,

• What Does It Mean To Be A Sunni (Meaning Of Term Ahl-e-sunnat Wal Jamat)?

Posted by Ali on May 26, 2021 at 2:30 pm

I have heard since I was born I am Sunni. What that means ? Currently I am trying to fully understand what it means to be a Muslim. Is it important to understand what is Sunni or acquire it ? If you really do not care but all the documentation in Pakistan you have to declare it. Was this concept existed in Prophet time ? If not how can we add something as part of the religion or it is just a political thing ?

Ali replied 2 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • What Does It Mean To Be A Sunni (Meaning Of Term Ahl-e-sunnat Wal Jamat)?

Ali updated 2 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 26, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Soon after the demise of Prophet Muhammad SAW two different groups formed amongst Muslims – Ahle-Tashi (Shia) and Ahle-Sunnat wal-Jamaat (Sunni) mainly due to political differences. In order to understand this you will have to understand the history. Please watch the first hour or two of this rather long video:

https://youtu.be/UdnJICFVWdQ

• Umer

Moderator May 27, 2021 at 7:45 pm

To understand brief historical basis of Ahl-e-sunnat wal Jamat, please refer to the video below from 1:06:12 to 1:10:12

(For details, please refer to the link shared by Faisal Sahab in the above response)

https://youtu.be/rVVROBfZgC4?t=3972

• John Marston

Member May 28, 2021 at 3:08 pm

The word sunni came with the formation of the orthodoxy by the Asharites centuries after the Prophet’s death. The original Muslims did not call themselves sunni even after the shia split. If you are not part of the mainstream orthodoxy, there is no need to call yourself Sunni.

• Ali

Member May 28, 2021 at 6:32 pm

Yes I prefer to be called Muslim only. Suni, Shia, Barelvi etc seems like man made social groupings of some kind which can not be part of the religion OR to be precise part of the religion given to us by Prophet Muhammad.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register