Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Why No Dark Colored Hoor In Paradise?

Tagged: 

• Why No Dark Colored Hoor In Paradise?

Posted by Muhammad Muaaz Shafiq on May 28, 2021 at 2:17 pm

As stated by Respected Javed Ahmed Ghamidi Sahib that the word (Hoor) is an adjective meaning goriyan (fair coloured) while discribing the characteristics of womens in jannat. So I wanted to state my question that why the (fair coloured) goriyan why is there no mention to dark coloured

Does it mean that (Fair colored) goriyan is the ideal beauty that every men desire

Ali replied 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Why No Dark Colored Hoor In Paradise?

Ali updated 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • John Marston

Member May 28, 2021 at 2:50 pm

The virgins of heaven described in the Quran was only reflective of the ideas of heaven that the Arabs of the time already had. Even before Islam, they believed heaven will have young dark-eyed fair-skinned virgins because this was what was considered desirable at the time. So the Quran only appealed to this view of heaven to urge them to accept the message. While the truth is that no one can conceptualize what is actually to come in the after-life.

• Muhammad Muaaz Shafiq

Member May 28, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Thank you for clearing

• Ali

Member May 28, 2021 at 6:23 pm

It would be great to know any other scholar interpreted “Goriyan” differently or any other possible meanings in Arabic or ancient Arabic poetry. I do have reservations with limiting beauty to color by God himself who created all of us. It seems Khilafa FITRAT at least for me.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 28, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Not just in this particular case all other things of eatables and gardens etc described in the Quran for haven are from arab culture, the things which may attract them. Another qualifier for women is they are as if protected eggs of ostrich. This simile is used only by Arabs, adopted from their environment.

It only means that beautiful decent women will be there.one may define their beauty according to one’s own cultural perspective

• Ali

Member May 28, 2021 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for clarification. I searched and saw this meaning “Beautiful and Radiant” which is perfect. A black woman can be Beautiful and Radiant. I understand speaking to Arab culture but how can God say something that can possible hurt the feelings of women of color. It does not feel “God like”.

• Ali

Member May 28, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Can this be interpreted like this for Arab culture ?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register