Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Ethical Issues With The Story Of Joseph In Bible

• Ethical Issues With The Story Of Joseph In Bible

Posted by Ali on June 5, 2021 at 4:38 am

Joseph famine policy seems to have serious ethical issues and I am not sure if God and his Prophet can be attributed such an exploitation scheme. As per the story, basically Pharaoh with the help of Prophet acquired hungry and dying Egyption’s belongings and their self for providing them food.

For example If we visualize ourselves being part of the Egyptians of that time and in order to get food for our kids we have to sell our belongings and our self to the King/Prophet while they have enough supplies. While we know that God is directly involved through his Prophet. Quran mentions Joseph giving enough food for his own family when his brothers came for help. Something seems to be off here.

Can we even think of similar scheme employed by Caliph Umar when Arabian Peninsula was struck by severe famine and drought ?

Does basic ethics change with the time period ?

Ahsan replied 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Ethical Issues With The Story Of Joseph In Bible

Ahsan updated 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • اشهل صادق

Member June 5, 2021 at 5:58 am

Peace!

Sir, can you please share your references? The Quran doesn’t say anything like that. And I don’t remember the Bible saying anything like that either, but I can’t say for sure.

• Ahsan

Moderator June 5, 2021 at 7:37 am

It very clear in genesis .Also, Quranic verse 12:65 implies that Hazrat yusuf brother paid to get food items.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register