Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Is Listening To Music Haram Or Maqruh?

Tagged: , ,

• Is Listening To Music Haram Or Maqruh?

Posted by Mohammad Asif karim on June 13, 2021 at 5:24 am

Will listening to Music be considered haram if there’s no nudity, no shirk or any bad lyrics in the song itself? Since most of the scholars mentioned nudity and shirk in the songs produced today, which is why they consider it Haram.

Umer replied 8 months, 1 week ago 8 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • Is Listening To Music Haram Or Maqruh?

Umer updated 8 months, 1 week ago 8 Members · 25 Replies
  • اشهل صادق

Member June 13, 2021 at 6:22 am

Peace!

No, music will not be considered haram then, rather, it will be a blessing of God. God has already explained what is haram and what is not quite clearly. Please read the following verses from the Quran:

https://www.javedahmedghamidi.org/#!/quran?chapter=7&paragraph=6&type=Ghamidi

• Nadeem Minhas

Member June 13, 2021 at 7:20 am

I agree with brother Sadiq, but I have my doubt about fast music, hard rock, hard metal and others. The research shows that these type of music create similar affects on young people as alcohol. Since alcohol or any drugs that create similar affects are prohibited, I wonder if such music could be prohibited. Also imagine using these type of music in semi-religious gatherings or family gathering.

• Mohammad Asif karim

Member June 14, 2021 at 5:20 am

I personally don’t listen to any hard rock or metal songs anymore considering the lyrics, which are trash and make no sense. And they also swear a lot in their songs which is considered as an act that drives you away from Allah. Not sure if these are Haram, but they do seem that way.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member October 26, 2021 at 9:02 pm

Well I would argue that it depends on what type of Rock music because there are also positive (good) and negative (bad) types of Rock music. Where I would argue that stuff that would fall into negative rock music would be Marilyn Manson/Limp Bizkit type bands which outright are either satanic or endore voilence/barbarianism/roudiness/bad language and then the positive type of Rock music I would categorize as that type which would positivity invigorate a person to stand up for what’s right/muster courage such as a few rock songs of DG ispr etc. In my personal experience it was those Pakistan army rock songs that got me to be a more practicing Muslim then eventually lead me to pray 5 times a day and be mindful of Allah due to which I developed a distaste for negative rock music but I still listen to the positive stuff. But in my opinion I think it’s up to one’s own judgement on what type music they can consider permissible/impermissible based on the positive/negative effects it has on them.

• Haris Virk

Moderator June 13, 2021 at 10:36 am

Please see the following threads for queries regarding music:Discussion 1150 • Reply 1480
    And
    Discussion 39704 • Reply 39720

Please also see the following principles for determining Halal and Haram:Discussion 1749

• Nadeem Minhas

Member June 13, 2021 at 10:50 am

Surah Aaraaf – 7:33 describes prohibitions except food (edible). In edible items, alcohol is prohibited by name in Quran. From there we derived that anything edible, injectable or breathable, such as drugs is prohibited because it gives the same or worse impact as alcohol. Fast music is consumed through skin and ears and have similar impact as alcohol in terms of impacting clear thinking. Why would this not be prohibited?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator June 14, 2021 at 9:27 am

Drugs are considered haram because their impact is the same or worse than alcohol – one losing control over his mind and therefore not being able to make sane decisions. Music, whether it’s fast or slow does not have that impact. The permissibility or impermissibility of any music is based on whether or not it has any immoral or polytheistic aspects.

• Mohammad Hasan

Member May 9, 2023 at 11:51 am

Bhai hmne response 23 series music aur singing wali video dekhi thi to usme unhone kha tha k aj Kl jo mausiqi h to usme jo laghwiyat to wo na jahez h to bhai laghwiyat k matlab kya h aur phir kya aj Kl k movies aur music singing dancing nhi dekh sakte

• Umer

Moderator May 10, 2023 at 2:51 am

Agar us main kuch ghair-ikhlaqi hai toh nhi daikhna chaiyai. Waisay daikh saktay hain.

• Mohammad Hasan

Member May 10, 2023 at 2:55 am

Laghwiyat k mtlb kya h

• Umer

Moderator May 10, 2023 at 2:58 am
    • Mohammad Hasan

Member May 10, 2023 at 4:05 am

Bhai لطیفے بازی mtlb kaise kya jhoot h

• Umer

Moderator May 10, 2023 at 4:10 am

aisi latifay bazi jis main gandi baatain hon

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member July 25, 2023 at 9:39 am

What about songs that have description that does not seem to be in conjunction with our belief? There is one particular song which is about someone living and reflecting on multiple previous lives (may be interpreted as reincarnation) to find the love of his life? Does the possible inclusion of reincarnation make the song Haram? What if the song is in another language which you don’t understand but the tune is catchy?

• Umer

Moderator July 27, 2023 at 10:17 am

There is no reason to consider such songs prohibited just because they reflect a different ideology. Most of the cases, such lyrics are exaggeration of some emotion in a poetic way, and most of the times they cannot be even called as supporting or expressing any ideology. However, if a song has explicit polytheism in it or vulgar lyrics in it, then such song should be avoided.

One can listen to a song in another language, but if one comes to know of anything objectionable (as mentioned above) in the song through any means, then such a song should also be avoided.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member July 28, 2023 at 10:13 am

Thanks for the reply.

Speaking of expression of different ideology there is a soundtrack which sounds very peaceful and tranquil but it has Christian Latin chanting in it which is also sung by Catholic which translates to the following when I searched it up:-

“Holy, holy, holy Lord God of Hosts Heaven and earth are full of your glory Hosanna in the highest Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord Hosanna in the highest”

I don’t think I see any elements of Trinity or shirk like that in this chant but it is a still a Christian chant. Should a Muslim still avoid listening to the soundtrack due to the inclusion of Christian specific chant?

Link below:-

https://youtu.be/D-3bKfXAays

• Umer

Moderator July 29, 2023 at 7:29 pm

As long as there is nothing objectionable, it doesn’t matter whether it has any specific religious connotations (of other religions), as long as they are not violating our religious principles (as mentioned above). The translation seems to be praise of God. Christians also believe in God and claim monotheism. It is their interpretation of monotheism which has polytheism in it and hence our objection.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member July 31, 2023 at 6:22 pm

Last question on this matter from me I promise (I apologize if I’m getting on anyone’s nerves by asking too many questions 😅):-

What if there is a purely polytheistic song or a song with a bad message which would clearly forbidden and we were with the help of software or somehow remove the lyrics and just enjoy the instrumental tune. That should be fine right?

There is that one Sahih Hadith where the prophet (saw) stopped some girls singing as they said something along the lines “and there is a prophet among us who knows what will happen tomorrow”. He just stopped them from saying things along those lines and told them not to convey such messages again before telling them to play on and continue singing.

• Umer

Moderator August 1, 2023 at 8:45 pm

If the problematic lyrics have been removed then the objection would also stand lifted.

__

(And do not apologize for asking questions. The whole purpose of this platform is to Ask Questions, but of course in accordance with the Ask Ghamidi Code of Conduct)

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member August 2, 2023 at 7:39 am

As always thank you @UmerQureshi 😊

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member August 14, 2023 at 2:24 pm

Thanks for clarifying 😊.

If there is a particular tune (instrumental only) which the composer composed with the intention to honor or to praise/worship a particular polytheistic deity or any other religion. And that tune just seems very catchy and uplifting to a Muslim, given that it does not arise any paganistic tendencies or admiration of any other religion other than Islam, then that’s fine too right?

• Umer

Moderator August 15, 2023 at 5:25 am

Listening to any Tune itself is a secular thing and any tune can be listened irrespective of the intention of the composer. However, in some exceptional circumstances when a particular tune is associated with any deity other than Allah at a massive scale then it would be advised to refrain from such a tune as a precautionary measure.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member May 29, 2023 at 9:55 am

Very interesting observation about the bukhari 5590 Hadith that the word used is not “Zina” but “Hir”. However what evidence do we have that the word “Hir” actually means sexual/reproductive organs rather than be another word for “Zina”?

Furthermore I think the word “Muazzaif” does not mean musical instruments in Arabic rather the correct translation would be the same as the word in Urdu “aalaat e moseeqia”. the most accurate translation for Muazzif in Urdu would be “koi Bhai bajanay wali cheez” as it comes from the word “azf” which simply means to play/fiddle with in Arabic. Hence anything which is played upon can be Muazzif be it a table, door or any other everyday object for drumming, hands for clapping/ whistling or even playing around with your vocal cords for beat boxing/Acapella.

What advice would you have to deal with those people who are inclined towards a particular ideology (will not take the name here) who are adamant that it is 100% Haram and won’t leave you alone until you agree with them? Asking as I unfortunately find myself surrounded by such people.

• اشهل صادق

Member May 29, 2023 at 1:07 pm

السلام عليكم

The word حر is a shortened version for حرح:

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register