• Identifying Khabeeth Animals

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 2 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 32 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator June 15, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Please refer to the video below from 29:21 to 30:58

https://youtu.be/o4Rw8pPcprM?t=1761

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 15, 2021 at 4:32 pm

But the principle of darindagi is not in the Quran is it? This is taking a major part of religion just from hadith

• Umer

Moderator June 15, 2021 at 4:33 pm

So you’re forgetting all the previous discussions we’ve had in the pastSob

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 15, 2021 at 4:34 pm

Oops maybe I am. But am I wrong to say this principle is derived from ahadith? If it were not for ahadith then lions don’t really induce the ‘yuck’ reflex in many people.

The reason lions aren’t eaten doesn’t seem to be because they are deemed gross. Rather their farming logistics are unfavourable both in the modern and ancient world. In the modern world you have to feed them so much in the ancient world you can’t really hunt a lion that easily.

• Umer

Moderator June 15, 2021 at 4:36 pm

Hadith is a simple explanation of ‘Bahimatul-Anam’

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 15, 2021 at 4:37 pm

Sure 5:1 says bahimtul anaam are halal but that doesn’t mean all predators are now haraam

• Umer

Moderator June 15, 2021 at 5:05 pm

‘Bahimatul-Anam’ does not draw a line but helps in understanding distinction between tayyebaat and khabaees w.r.t animals. The line has been drawn at Tayyebaat and Khabaees with most of the distinction left to nature of human beings. Some level of subjectivity that could’ve arisen based on this principle, has been helped out through ‘Bahimatul-Anam’ wording.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 15, 2021 at 5:06 pm

Hmmm this is a good point. Because you’re drawing a parallel between bahimatul anaam and tayyibaat if I’ve understood correctly.

That would logically follow that non bahimatul anaam are mostly, if not all khabaith.

Makes sense overall I guess

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 15, 2021 at 6:19 pm

Al-Ma’idah – 5:1

Arabic

يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓاْ أَوۡفُواْ بِٱلۡعُقُودِۚ أُحِلَّتۡ لَكُم بَهِيمَةُ ٱلۡأَنۡعَٰمِ إِلَّا مَا يُتۡلَىٰ عَلَيۡكُمۡ غَيۡرَ مُحِلِّى ٱلصَّيۡدِ وَأَنتُمۡ حُرُمٌۗ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ يَحۡكُمُ مَا يُرِيدُ

I did some more thinking and if we look at 5:1 the verse seems to be more talking about hajj that you can eat livestock but you shouldn’t hunt.

Rather than a distinction between tayyib and khabeeth.

So wouldn’t this mean the Hadith is still and extra Quranic definition of khabeeth?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 16, 2021 at 1:26 pm
    • Umer

Moderator June 17, 2021 at 5:36 am

If the intent was only the mentioning of prohibition of hunting, then there was no need to mention this statement which people already knew regarding meat eating. The principle statement has been given with exception of hunting during ahram and pointing towards further explanation relating to ‘Bahimatul-Anam’ starting from verse 3.

Please also refer to the video below from 29:01 to 41:35

https://youtu.be/Zyg32i8QgFg?t=1741

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 17, 2021 at 5:45 am

Before I continue with my other qs- what ayah is being used to show that khabaith are even haraam in the context of food?

• Umer

Moderator June 18, 2021 at 4:04 pm

یٰٓاَیُّھَا الَّذِیْنَ اٰمَنُوْا، کُلُوْا مِنْ طَیِِّبٰتِ مَا رَزَقْنٰکُمْ وَاشْکُرُوْا لِلّٰہِ ، اِنْ کُنْتُمْ اِیَّاہُ تَعْبُدُوْنَ. اِنَّمَا حَرَّمَ عَلَیْکُمُ الْمَیْتَۃَ وَالدَّمَ وَلَحْمَ الْخِنْزِیْرِ وَمَآ اُھِلَّ بِہٖ لِغَیْرِ اللّٰہِ.(۲: ۱۷۲۔ ۱۷۳)

’’ایمان والو، (یہ اگر اپنی اِن بدعتوں کو نہیں چھوڑتے تو اِنھیں اِن کے حال پر چھوڑو، اور) جو پاکیزہ چیزیں ہم نے تمھیں عطا فرمائی ہیں، اُنھیں (بغیر کسی تردد کے) کھاؤ اور اللہ ہی کے شکرگزار بنو، اگر تم اُسی کی پرستش کرنے والے ہو۔اُس نے تو تمھارے لیے صرف مردار اور خون اورسؤر کا گوشت اور غیراللہ کے نام کا ذبیحہ حرام ٹھیرایا ہے۔ ‘

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 18, 2021 at 4:07 pm

This doesn’t say all khabaith are haraam. This ayah uses the word إنما which means only. This ayah itself says Allah has only made these things haraam

• Umer

Moderator June 18, 2021 at 4:14 pm

Tayyibaat are Halal which means Khabees are Haram. ‘Innama’ is used as Hasar as explained by Ghamidi Sahab to you personallyJoy

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 18, 2021 at 4:15 pm

Ji haan abhi dekha mein ne phir se lol

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 12:07 am

Tayyibaat are halal but this doesn’t necessitate that khabaith are haraam. Why would you think that?

• Umer

Moderator June 25, 2021 at 8:21 am

Tayyibaat and khabaeeth are two categories between which tayyibaat have been declared halal, this logically follows khabaeeth are haram, there is no need to mention this fact separately.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 8:25 am

Then please help me understand the nazm of surah makkah. It seems weird that ayah 1 gives a general ruling and then it goes to hajj then back to general food laws then later on back to hajj.

It would make more sense that ayah 1 and 2 are about hajj and the first ayah is just saying eat your livestock but don’t hunt and then it goes on to hajj.

Remember my basic question is does the Quran support that predators are khabaith that’s what I’m asking

• Umer

Moderator June 25, 2021 at 9:28 am

I think Hajj related directives are a supplement to the main directives related to dietary law.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 9:34 am

Yes but isn’t it weird that half of ayah one is related to food the other half hajj then all of ayah 2 is hajj then 3 onwards goes into food and wudu etc.

Wouldn’t it be neater that 1 and 2 are purely about hajj then 3 onwards other laws?

• Umer

Moderator June 25, 2021 at 9:36 am

But the primary subject is dietary law, and within that subject, dietary law related to Hajj was also mentioned.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 9:41 am

Ok. Good hypothesis. Let’s see if it works:

Al-Ma’idah – 5:1

Arabic

يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓاْ أَوۡفُواْ بِٱلۡعُقُودِۚ أُحِلَّتۡ لَكُم بَهِيمَةُ ٱلۡأَنۡعَٰمِ إِلَّا مَا يُتۡلَىٰ عَلَيۡكُمۡ غَيۡرَ مُحِلِّى ٱلصَّيۡدِ وَأَنتُمۡ حُرُمٌۗ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ يَحۡكُمُ مَا يُرِيدُ

Al-Ma’idah – 5:96

Arabic

أُحِلَّ لَكُمۡ صَيۡدُ ٱلۡبَحۡرِ وَطَعَامُهُۥ مَتَٰعًا لَّكُمۡ وَلِلسَّيَّارَةِۖ وَحُرِّمَ عَلَيۡكُمۡ صَيۡدُ ٱلۡبَرِّ مَا دُمۡتُمۡ حُرُمًاۗ وَٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ ٱلَّذِىٓ إِلَيۡهِ تُحۡشَرُونَ

Both of these ayaat have two clauses.

Ayah 1 has 1. Livestock halal 2. Hunting haraam.

Ayah 96 has 1. Seafood halal 2. Hunting haraam.

Now both of these also have the clause ‘whilst you are under ihram’. (1 is just a regular ism whereas 96 is a haal but I don’t have enough knowldge in Arabic to know the difference, maybe @Irfan76 can help to know the nuance إن شاء الله).

Now you are saying that the clause of ‘whilst being in ihram’ applies only to the second directive in ayah 1- that all livestock is halal- and hunting is only haraam whilst in ihram.

So you should say the same for ayah 96- that all seafood is halal- and Hunting is haraam in ihram.

That would be the consistent outcome of what I have understood form your argument. I disagree with it and think both clauses come under the same condition.

• Fahad Iqbal

Member June 16, 2021 at 11:14 am

The Asians(Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Thai Etc.) eat all kind of insects, Cockroaches, Bats, Rats, Snakes, Frogs, Cats, Dogs etc. They don’t find it disgusting in the least bit. Do you see anything wrong with that?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 16, 2021 at 1:26 pm

I do see things wrong with that. But not lion necessarily.

• Fahad Iqbal

Member June 19, 2021 at 11:48 am

Lion like a Cat and Dog is a Meat eater Jungli Vicious Carnivore that attacks and eats while remaining hidden or camouflaged. It belongs to the same group or species as a Cat. I don’t understand why for you Cat gives a disgusted feeling and a Lion doesn’t?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 19, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Lol because of my fitrah 😂😂.

But seriously I’m not thinking logically acha yaar yeh jaan war lese khana kahta hai?

I just look at the animal and think would i eat? When I see lion the answer is: Yeah sure why not.

People say oh humans don’t generally eat lion. Well yeah ofc statistics of farming would be unbearable.

• Fahad Iqbal

Member June 21, 2021 at 6:23 am

are you saying your fitrah is irrational and illogical. Well than you are unable to determine & understand your exact fitrah anyways. which is why you need religious guidance bro to come to a right conclusion. Allah created us humans and he knows our nature the best. We should follow his guidance. 🙂

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 21, 2021 at 10:09 am

Where does it say in his guidance that lions are haraam?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 26, 2021 at 4:37 am

Human beings never showed natural inclination to eat lions or even dogs as a tradition, rather they do feel disgusted the idea of eating animals like these. Digression from this known established fact of mainstream humankind is found only in certain individuals and certain nations (like Chinese). Man is capable to go against his nature. If eating such animals were that confusing, we might have found this habit of eating them frequently in other nations too, but it is not the case.

Digression in specific individuals and specific nations from the mainstream is itself an evidence that they are the ones who digressed or deviated from the mainstream. Instead of making them a criterion to nullify the mainstream unanimous habit of rest of the humankind, the correct approach is the consider them wrong for not following the ways of mainstream.

having said that, we find that there are two types of animals, carnivores and herbivores. God told that herbivores are halal, which explicitly means that carnivores are haram. The reason seems to be their being predictors or beast.

you see, man got confused only in the case of pig, not about other beasts. That is why Allah gave its verdict that it is haram too because it is carnivores too.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 26, 2021 at 6:58 am

I think this is a causation correlation issue. For example one could turn around and say that we don’t eat lions and lizards because they are hard to catch. The logistics of hunting a lion in the olden days would be so difficult- as would the farming of them en Masse nowadays since they are not domesticated.

As for herbivores being halal- I don’t think the ayah says that. Read this:

Discussion 51995 • Reply 52629

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 3, 2021 at 2:18 am

not logic but the study of habit counts. catching a rabbit is difficult too but people hunt and eat them, but no hunter eats lions after he hunts it (habitually)

The verse says that the grazing livestock is halal. no it is the habit found in mankind that they don’t feel like to eat horse and donkey etc.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register