Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Did Prophet Actually Forgive A Sinner Without Imposing Sharia Punishment?

• Did Prophet Actually Forgive A Sinner Without Imposing Sharia Punishment?

Posted by Shah Faizan on June 19, 2021 at 2:17 am

Can you please explain why prophet didn’t punished the man according to God’s law and why he forgave him? And also by this can we say that if someone commits a crime/sin and then prays to God, then God forgives him and ruler can’t punish him? Because if God will forgive it’s okay but ruler should still punish him but here prophet didn’t so I’m kinda confused.

Ref:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

While I was with the Prophet (ﷺ) a man came and said, “O Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) ! I have committed a legally punishable sin; please inflict the legal punishment on me’.’ The Prophet (ﷺ) did not ask him what he had done. Then the time for the prayer became due and the man offered prayer along with the Prophet (ﷺ) , and when the Prophet (ﷺ) had finished his prayer, the man again got up and said, “O Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) ! I have committed a legally punishable sin; please inflict the punishment on me according to Allah’s Laws.” The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Haven’t you prayed with us?’ He said, “Yes.” The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Allah has forgiven your sin.” or said, “….your legally punishable sin.”

Sahih al-Bukhari, 6823

In-Book Reference: Book 86, Hadith 51

USC-MSA web (English) reference: Vol. 8, Book 82, Hadith 812 (deprecated numbering scheme)

Shah Faizan replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Did Prophet Actually Forgive A Sinner Without Imposing Sharia Punishment?

Shah Faizan updated 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 21, 2021 at 11:09 am

The Ahadith mostly are void of the context and necessary details. There is no detail of kind of sin he committed. The prophet seemed to be satisfied with condition. The sin he was thinking of legally punishable might not that serious, as people were not well educated, since his name was not mentioned, it seems he was an ordinary man with less knowledge. His repentance suffices his sin.

Principally, reports ascribed to the prophet, must be viewed under Quran and the established norms and ethics.

• Shah Faizan

Member July 14, 2021 at 1:24 pm

Thanks sir!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register