Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Hazrat Umer (RA) & Rights Of The Dhimmis (nonmuslims In Muslim State)

• Hazrat Umer (RA) & Rights Of The Dhimmis (nonmuslims In Muslim State)

Posted by Beenish Hussain on July 10, 2020 at 3:35 pm

While it may be commonly known that Hazrat Umer (RA) granted many right to nonmuslims in places he conquered, such as protecting their places of worship, I would like to know if he himself built any “new” places of worship for nonmuslims living in the Muslim state?

Fayyaz Shah replied 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Hazrat Umer (RA) & Rights Of The Dhimmis (nonmuslims In Muslim State)

Fayyaz Shah updated 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 10, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Hazrat Umar’s reign was approximately 10 years long. During this time he made many reforms, fought wars, was faced with many challenges, including famine, followed by a plague. He did not have any chance to build any places of worship whether for Muslims or Non-muslims.

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 11, 2020 at 10:43 am

Thanks. I am reading his biography these days. I was interested particularly because I wanted to understand current affair regarding building a mandir in a Muslim state. I thought there is no better way to answer this than looking at conquest of Hazrat Umer (RA). A man who gave such liberating rights to nonmuslims that I think even Muslims would have envied them 😊

He allowed nonmuslims to “reconstruct” their demolished worship places, however I see no evidence of himself building a nonmuslim worship place. Knowing his character, I could use AQL to say that IF there was no place for nonmuslims to worship he would have allowed them to build new one but only if there was a need. Similar to how Muslims living in America are allowed to build their places of worship but it’s not like there are too many like in a Muslim state.

I don’t think I can attribute it to time as in he did not get a chance that’s why. Just wanted to learn for my awareness as I see many people are offended thinking their religion is at stake. It’s not the islam I have read through eyes of Umer (RA).

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 11, 2020 at 11:25 am

Those who have been expelled from their homes unjustly only because they said: “Our Lord is Allah.” – For had it not been that Allah checks one set of people by means of another, monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, wherein the Name of Allah is mentioned much would surely have been pulled down. Verily, Allah will help those who help His (Cause). Truly, Allah is All-Strong, All-Mighty. – [22:40 Quran]

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 11, 2020 at 9:23 pm

So then isn’t it wrong to reclaim Hagia Sofia as a mosque? I don’t think Hazrat Umer would have done that given the controversy it has created with the Christians today. At least I haven’t come across a case when he built mosque over a church.

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 11, 2020 at 9:47 pm

I just finished reading a book on his biography. If you like I can post my notes here in. No part of his character would have been OKAY with this!

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 11, 2020 at 9:49 pm

Well it can be a new discussion if you like?

Some good book review? Introduce us to the book with some key points we can all learn from you?

• Fayyaz Shah

Member July 18, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Driving religious principles from history is a very hard thing to do. In this information age, if you ask someone why did US attack Iraq. You will get so many different answers based on the part of the world and what media people are consuming. It will require a lot wisdom and objectivity to come to a real answer. If that is the case for the history that is happening in front of our own eyes in this information age, then imagine for events that happened 1400 years ago.

Therefore I believe that principles of the rights of non-muslims should be driven from Quran and Sunnah and not the history.

Quran is clear (see few verses below) that when it comes to religion, it should be free will and there should be exchange of ideas for people to figure out what is the truth and whatever they consider to be the truth, they should be allowed to practice it. If we agree on this principle, then off course non-muslims can build their places of worship in muslim lands.

وَلَوْ شَاء رَبُّكَ لآمَنَ مَن فِي الأَرْضِ كُلُّهُمْ جَمِيعًا أَفَأَنتَ تُكْرِهُ النَّاسَ حَتَّى يَكُونُواْ مُؤْمِنِينَ 10-99

Had your Lord willed, all those on earth would have believed altogether. Would you, then, compel people, so that they become believers?

عَلَيْهِم بِوَكِيلٍ وَلَوْ شَاء اللّهُ مَا أَشْرَكُواْ وَمَا جَعَلْنَاكَ عَلَيْهِمْ حَفِيظًا وَمَا أَنتَ 6-107

If Allah willed, they would not have associated. We have not appointed you as a guard over them, nor are you a taskmaster for them.

لَّسْتَ عَلَيْهِم بِمُصَيْطر, إِلَّا مَن تَوَلَّى وَكَفَر, فَيُعَذِّبُهُ اللَّهُ الْعَذَابَ الْأَكْبَرَ 88-22,23, 24

You are not a taskmaster set up over them, but whoever turns away and disbelieves, Allah will punish him with the greatest torment.

لاَ إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ 2-256

There is no compulsion in Faith

Allah knows best.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register