A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam 7:137 Jews Inheriting Egypt

Tagged: ,

• 7:137 Jews Inheriting Egypt

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on July 4, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Al-A’raf – 7:137

Arabic

وَأَوۡرَثۡنَا ٱلۡقَوۡمَ ٱلَّذِينَ كَانُواْ يُسۡتَضۡعَفُونَ مَشَٰرِقَ ٱلۡأَرۡضِ وَمَغَٰرِبَهَا ٱلَّتِى بَٰرَكۡنَا فِيهَاۖ وَتَمَّتۡ كَلِمَتُ رَبِّكَ ٱلۡحُسۡنَىٰ عَلَىٰ بَنِىٓ إِسۡرَٰٓءِيلَ بِمَا صَبَرُوا۟ۖ وَدَمَّرۡنَا مَا كَانَ يَصۡنَعُ فِرۡعَوۡنُ وَقَوۡمُهُۥ وَمَا كَانُواْ يَعۡرِشُونَ

The ayah starts of with inheriting.

The ayah ends with saying that the buildings of pharoah were destroyed.

So does this mean that the Jews Inherited the lands of pharoah after they were destroyed?

Umer replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • 7:137 Jews Inheriting Egypt

Umer updated 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator July 5, 2021 at 6:05 am

The start of ayah also refers to مَشَٰرِقَ ٱلۡأَرۡضِ وَمَغَٰرِبَهَا ٱلَّتِى بَٰرَكۡنَا فِيهَاۖ which is somewhat similar reference as used in الَّذِیْ بَارَكْنَا حَوْلَهُ in (17:1) with regards to the land of palestine. And the latter part regarding what happend to Pharoah and his people has been mentioned as an opposite to وَ تَمَّتۡ کَلِمَتُ رَبِّکَ الۡحُسۡنٰی عَلٰی بَنِیۡۤ اِسۡرَآءِیۡلَ ۬ۙ بِمَا صَبَرُوۡا part of the verse.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 5, 2021 at 6:10 am

It says those who were weakened – this would’ve been the actual Hebrew Israelites that were oppressed.

And if you read from 134 it makes this even clearer.

And also as I mentioned above they inherited the land. If you read it as a cohesive narrative it seems to say pharoah got destroyed now the Israelites live there

• Umer

Moderator July 5, 2021 at 5:07 pm

I am unable to find anything in 134, please elaborate more.

Secondly, Prophet Musa’s (sws) primary demand related to Bani-Israel was to ask for their freedom of movement (e.g. 20:47) so that they can move out and settle in Palestine

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 5, 2021 at 5:11 pm

The demand 20:47 was that let the bani israel leave and go to their lands safely. You could say that the true request was for safety (you can disagree with this).

So then when pharoah was drowned they were safe and didn’t have to go.

As for 7:134-137 I just said read from earlier on to show the cohesive narrative. It seems to show that the Egyptians were oppressing the Israelites so they were made to inherit the lands after them. Inherit would be used if someone dies and gives it to someone else or someone else takes it or is given it

• Umer

Moderator July 5, 2021 at 5:16 pm

Inheritance was with reference to land of Palestine as I see it becasue of the words مَشَٰرِقَ ٱلۡأَرۡضِ وَمَغَٰرِبَهَا ٱلَّتِى بَٰرَكۡنَا فِيهَاۖ .

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register