A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 27:7 Vs 20:10 And 28:29

Tagged: , ,

• Quran 27:7 Vs 20:10 And 28:29

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on July 5, 2021 at 12:20 pm

An-Naml – 27:7

Arabic

إِذۡ قَالَ مُوسَىٰ لِأَهۡلِهِۦٓ إِنِّىٓ ءَانَسۡتُ نَارًا سَـَٔاتِيكُم مِّنۡهَا بِخَبَرٍ أَوۡ ءَاتِيكُم بِشِهَابٍ قَبَسٍ لَّعَلَّكُمۡ تَصۡطَلُونَ

Ta Ha – 20:10

Arabic

إِذۡ رَءَا نَارًا فَقَالَ لِأَهۡلِهِ ٱمۡكُثُوٓاْ إِنِّىٓ ءَانَسۡتُ نَارًا لَّعَلِّىٓ ءَاتِيكُم مِّنۡهَا بِقَبَسٍ أَوۡ أَجِدُ عَلَى ٱلنَّارِ هُدًى

There seems to be a discrepancy in words even though the same event is being described. How do we reconcile this?

I guess the Quran is paraphrasing but why different sentences then?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Quran 27:7 Vs 20:10 And 28:29

Ahmad Shoaib updated 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator July 5, 2021 at 4:48 pm

What’s the discrepancy?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 5, 2021 at 4:48 pm

different words are used for the same speech

• Umer

Moderator July 5, 2021 at 4:50 pm

But conveying the same meaning, right?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 5, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Sure but that’s not the issue. The issue is why are there different words being used for the same speech when the same thing would’ve been said.

It’s like I say ‘my mum said get me 6 lemons’

Or I say ‘my mum said get half a dozen citrus fruits’

Same meaning but only one can be correct if it’s the same event

• Umer

Moderator July 5, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Unless both these sentences are in passive mode, then wordings don’t matter. (which I cannot verify atm)

May be Irfan Sahab can shed some light on this matter.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 5, 2021 at 5:34 pm

I’m not sure what you mean by passive. If your talking about active vs passive voice then these are active sentences through and through.

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member July 6, 2021 at 7:17 am

This is very interesting and also true, different words have been used

Moses seeing a fire in mentioned in Surah Taha 20:10, Namal 27:7 and Qasas 28:29.

In Namal and Qasas, similar pattern, Moses saying he may get Khabar or can borrow flame. Khabar precedes getting fire/flame

But in Taha he said fire/flame first followed by finding Guidance! Word used is Huda

So the arrangement is opposite. Taha narrates the story of Moses and Bani Israel in greatest detail. It also mentioned Moses describing Allah as one who Guides(Hada) in 20:50.

So in Taha just by changing the order and the use of the word guidance, Allah alluded to Moses’s inner struggle both spiritually for himself and the suffering of his people. He didn’t know what to do and was looking for guidance.

I did word search in Quran.com, word hada (in all other verbal forms) is used either as an innate guidance or the spiritual right path and not as a way in land.

Therefore, Namal and Qasas describes a man who wanted to find his way in the land and fire for his family so they may stay warm

But in Taha describes the man who wanted above as well as guidance for himself

Please the 3 areas and insha Allah u will find a better explanation than mine

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 6, 2021 at 9:48 am

That’s a great observation so if some admin can update the title and add vs 28:29 that’s be great- here’s all the ayaat together:

Al-Qasas – 28:29

Arabic

فَلَمَّا قَضَىٰ مُوسَى ٱلۡأَجَلَ وَسَارَ بِأَهۡلِهِۦٓ ءَانَسَ مِن جَانِبِ ٱلطُّورِ نَارًا قَالَ لِأَهۡلِهِ ٱمۡكُثُوٓاْ إِنِّىٓ ءَانَسۡتُ نَارًا لَّعَلِّىٓ ءَاتِيكُم مِّنۡهَا بِخَبَرٍ أَوۡ جَذۡوَةٍ مِّنَ ٱلنَّارِ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تَصۡطَلُونَ

An-Naml – 27:7

Arabic

إِذۡ قَالَ مُوسَىٰ لِأَهۡلِهِۦٓ إِنِّىٓ ءَانَسۡتُ نَارًا سَـَٔاتِيكُم مِّنۡهَا بِخَبَرٍ أَوۡ ءَاتِيكُم بِشِهَابٍ قَبَسٍ لَّعَلَّكُمۡ تَصۡطَلُونَ

Ta Ha – 20:10

Arabic

إِذۡ رَءَا نَارًا فَقَالَ لِأَهۡلِهِ ٱمۡكُثُوٓاْ إِنِّىٓ ءَانَسۡتُ نَارًا لَّعَلِّىٓ ءَاتِيكُم مِّنۡهَا بِقَبَسٍ أَوۡ أَجِدُ عَلَى ٱلنَّارِ هُدًى

So why three different accounts of what Musa صلى الله عليه وسلم Said to his family?

• Farid Boubou

Member April 23, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Salam o alikoum,

Have you found any answer about this différents versions?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 23, 2022 at 8:45 pm

Yes I asked Ghamidi sahab directly and he said this is simply how past events are narrated. Sometimes different words are used to convey the same meaning.

He said it is to keep it varied and fresh so the exact same words weren’t used and that this is common in literature

• Farid Boubou

Member April 23, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Are there any studies on this? This subject can lead many Muslims astray if it is not argued.

Please if you can convince any predicator to make a complete answer it can Help many peoples.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 23, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Dr javad Hashmi has a thread on this:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1398013509682700292.html

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register