Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Is Zakat Not Necessary If You Are Paying Taxes?

Tagged: 

• Is Zakat Not Necessary If You Are Paying Taxes?

Posted by Burhan Khan on July 8, 2021 at 6:57 am

In one of the discussions, you mentioned that if the Govt is collecting tax from you then your obligation to pay zakat is considered done and you are not required to pay zakat separately but you can pay with your own free will.

My question is that taxes are calculated based on your income in the past year whereas zakat I believe is supposed to be on your possession held for more than one year and they are within the zakat jurisdiction. So how do you see this?

Faisal Haroon replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Is Zakat Not Necessary If You Are Paying Taxes?

Faisal Haroon updated 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member July 8, 2021 at 7:58 am

In a separate conversation on a similar topic, it was stated by the moderator that it is not just income tax that can offset Zakat obligation but other taxes too; more specifically property tax

But we pay lot of other taxes too. Here is a list of some major ones that I can think of.

State Income Tax

Federal Income Tax

City Tax

Sales Tax

Property Tax

Vehicle/boat tax

There is small amount of tax or sometimes named as fees on almost every thing.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 8, 2021 at 9:20 am

Any taxes paid can be deducted from the total zakat obligation.

Zakat on production / earnings is separate from zakat on savings / assets. Please refer to the following zakat FAQ for details:

Discussion 46733

Also you can enter appropriate numbers in our Zakat Calculator after reading description for each box. When you reach the end, it will generate a statement showing you exactly what you owe after any applicable deductions, and what percentage was applied to what. It’s also a great way to learn the sharia of zakat.

View Zakat Calculator

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register